Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
anybody? I need to know how wide to do it with two roosting bars on it? Would really like to do this since I have a bad back and wouldn't have to be bending to scoop out the poop.

anybody? I need to know how wide to do it with two roosting bars on it? Would really like to do this since I have a bad back and wouldn't have to be bending to scoop out the poop. 
There was a post early on in this thread where someone did this. I'm not sure, but think they had 10-12 inches (about 30 cm) between them.
I just looked. Post 177 on page 18 says about 10" apart. Another post I found said they used 6" apart. That seems sort of close to me though. The birds would be too tight, although they do tend to like to huddle.

Last edited:
Wow, your coop is beautiful! I have 4 larger birds, 1 silkie & 1 bantam cochin. The 4 big girls and silkie perch on their own, but the little cochin cannot/will not use the ladder, nor can she fly up like the others often do. I even set up a looooong board last night so she could use it as a ramp... still had to pick her up and guide her up the ramp. Maybe this is a bantam thing???

There was a post early on in this thread where someone did this. I'm not sure, but think they had 10-12 inches (about 30 cm) between them.
I just looked. Post 177 on page 18 says about 10" apart. Another post I found said they used 6" apart. That seems sort of close to me though. The birds would be too tight, although they do tend to like to huddle.
thank you so much Redhen! I don't remember that one but my poor brain these days don't remember a whole lot.
roll.png
I sure do appreciate your effort!!! I just LOVE this idea! My roost is taking up over half of the pen and this will just be so neat looking to because that poop hammock looks horrible and is stinky after just 3 short days.
ep.gif
and it looks sooooo nasty to me. lol I was just out there scooping the poop and the ants are all in there as well. I have to take it down once a week and hose it off on the clothesline to clean the nasty looking thing.
barnie.gif
So this idea is just so awesome and man it will be such a blessing for me I think. I'm trying to look around now to see what all I will have to buy to get started making one for them. I think about all I will need to buy is the plywood.
Thank you again RedHen!!!
smile.png

Last edited:

I have 2a parellel roosts but my whole floor is PDZ, not a big enough coop for poop boards. I did my roosts 11inches apart and heard to leave a foot clearance on either side, I think a foot is a lot but if you have the space, why not? That'd be roughly a 36 inch board if you have an inch for each roost. If you don't have the room, I'd imagine 10 inches on either side would be ok, or a 32 inch board.

thanx you guys! I have enough space! In fact the area I want to do this in is like 40 something inches from the door. It's in a corner and I think I will do the roost about 9-10 foot long. I have 38 chicks right now but will get rid of a bunch of those to where I only have like 20 or so chickens. I'm thinking maybe 8 foot long would be enough and just add 2 roosting boards on it.
Thanx again you guys! Just bought me a bag of the sweet pdz to get me started. Hubby wants to wait about doing this project...ughhhh.... so I thought, well I'll get one now and then next pay check get another bag and I will be off to a good start. lol

The planets must have been lined up when I decided I would build a coop before any chick made it's home at our place. Thank goodness for that! We started the coop at the end of June, the exterior is almost complete, drip edge and shingles, followed by a nice paint job is next. So glad I joined BYC and am able to glean such sage advice before completing the interior. Looks like poop boards and PDZ will definitely be a part of the interior! Thank you all for your experience and wisdom.
bow.gif

I actually cheated and mixed in two bags of PDZ and one or moreish bags of sand...cut cost a little and seems to work the same so far no stink!

Back
Top Bottom