Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

I'm just getting ready to build my coop as I finally get my chicken's in the Spring. I'm so happy I saw this! Now that you have the poop boards and the PDZ, how often do you have to re-do the shavings?

depends on how many chickens you have. I give a quick poop board and random pile cleaning every or every other day. then a good total clean out about every 6 weeks or so. I have 6 hens in a 5x 8 coop. Congrats and good luck with your chicks in the spring, this is a great place to learn .

Great thanks. We are just starting to build the coop(s). I'm finding out now that if I want meat and egg birds i'll need two. Even with the addition to the poop boards should we have some kind of tray or something that goes under the shavings or straw? That way it won't get into the wood?

I do a poop board under the roost with the zeolite (Sweet PDZ / Stall Fresh) and deep litter (pine shavings) in the rest of the coop. Because my poop board is well above the floor of the coop, they have little to do with each other.

I scoop under the roost (scoop the poop board) day or three and add the poop directly to the garden or to the compost. I use a long-handled cultivator to stir up the pine shavings and any other poop that they've left in the coop. It stays very dry, no ammonia or other smells. The only thing I really smell in their coop is the sweetness of grain in their feed. Unless someone had just taken an exceptionally large and smelly poo.
wink.png

I'm just getting ready to build my coop as I finally get my chicken's in the Spring. I'm so happy I saw this! Now that you have the poop boards and the PDZ, how often do you have to re-do the shavings?

I expect how often you need to change out the shavings will have a lot to do with how many chickens in how much space you have. Unfortunately, the best answer is "as often as you need to to keep a healthy flock."

That said, I have five chickens in a 8'x6' coop, plus a 2'x6' poop board and I don't expect to need to change out the shavings more often than every 6 months or so. I stir up the shavings (fluff them up, get rid of any compacted places, redistribute any poop or other leftovers) every week or so when it seems it could use it. I also use nipple waterers so the shavings don't get wet.

Back
Top Bottom