Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

What is PDZ? I have called the feed store and they do not know what I am talking about.

thanks! We are doing a poop board and think this is a great ideal!

It can also be called "Sweet PDZ" "Stall Dry" or just zeolite (the name of the rock). It can be either powder (like flour) or granulated (like sand).

Here are some links that might be helpful to share with your feed store: (I have no affiliation with any of the companies below)

Bear River Zeolite "Molly Magic" http://www.bearriverzeolite.com/molly_magic.htm
Sweet PDZ: http://www.sweetpdz.com/
Stall Dry: http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/stall-dry-deodorization-and-ammonia-control.html

(Side note: from my research, what's sold as "Stall Fresh" isn't the same thing, but I've never used it.)

In the Greater Seattle (urban) area, I pay about $13 for 40 pounds or $7 for 22 pounds of granulated zeolite.

Success! From the moment I read this thread I was thrilled at the idea of the poopboard. The thought of not having to clean out an entire coop was awesome. So, when we built an 8x12 chicken house, I decided to try it.

I built it about 3.5 feet off the floor, and put the roost board about 10 inches above that. The chickens wouldn't use it. They preferred to sit in the nest boxes, or the floor. I hatched off 10 chicks, and after a week or two in a smaller chicken house, they graduated to the big house. Within 2 days they were using it.

The older chickens took a while to even consider it, but they were all up there, keeping their toes warm last night.

Also, I put PDZ on the board, and it works beautifully. I even sprinkled some on the floor to dry out what goes there. I can just sweep the floor, and I am good to go!

Just went into the coop and cleaned the poop board shelf and it was so quick and easy. I was sick for 2 days so I couldnt get out there but it literally took about 5 minutes tops.  Tomorrow I will have to attend to the floor which is sand and some pine shavings, not going to use the shavings again....I need to fashion a floor scoop/rake so if anyone has any ideas I am all ears!
I "invented" this today! The kitty litter scoop took to long. I just got a bucket with a handle ,a small drill bit and went to town making holes! Then I raked my coop sand into a pile and filled the bucket up about 3 inches. Shake the bucket good sand falls out and the yucky stays and dump that in the compost! I'm going to drill holes on the side tomorrow!

We made a huge pooper scooper out of a pitch fork wrapped in green mesh wire screen- hooked with zip ties. Notice the box shape (elevated sides) with the tines sticking out a bit (helps with scooping stuck on poop). Don't 'butt' the mesh up to the points, need it back at least an inch or 2. It makes scooping the poop easy by keeping the medium to large pieces in the scoop & lets the saw dust/sand fall through.
By far my FAVORITE coop cleaning tool.
The first picture shows the roost (left) that has a poop board). I need to make a poop scoop with a short handle for this one as I bang everything with the long handle).
This works well, however, for the side of my coop where there's no poop board (see second pic that we haven't yet put a poop board under)- so I don't have to lean down & hit my head on the roosts.

So has anyone else built elaborate poop boards and their chickens won't touch them? I even made one shorter so they could easily jump up. I tried to be positive at first, but it has been about 5 months now and I think I will be taking them down. I used to put our chickens on the perch above the poop boards at night for about a month, but that got old when I realized it wasn't helping them catch on. :(

So has anyone else built elaborate poop boards and their chickens won't touch them? I even made one shorter so they could easily jump up. I tried to be positive at first, but it has been about 5 months now and I think I will be taking them down. I used to put our chickens on the perch above the poop boards at night for about a month, but that got old when I realized it wasn't helping them catch on. :(
That looks so pretty! Where do your birds sleep?

Back
Top Bottom