Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

How much room is between the wall and the roost? We built a poop board and roost over and they all love it, even me!
yesss.gif
I have one Barred Rock hen that lays her eggs in it for some reason. I was thinking maybe the roost was too close to the wall they were not using it.

How much room is between the wall and the roost? We built a poop board and roost over and they all love it, even me!
yesss.gif
I have one Barred Rock hen that lays her eggs in it for some reason. I was thinking maybe the roost was too close to the wall they were not using it.

The coop is 4x8, and we made our poop boards about 21" wide, with the perches right in the middle of that. We have bantam cochins so I think that should be plenty of clearance. They just never jump up on them in the first place and just pile in a very poopy corner every night, bleh.

Oh, and I tried the bucket, but it was an epic fail. The sand comes out like it is a powdered sugar shaker, even though I think I made about 1000 1/4 holes and went through both lithium batteries for our drill. I think I'd have to stand there for 10 minutes to sift two shovels full. Maybe I can make the holes bigger, or just have the entire bottom made of hardware cloth.

Last edited:
Do you know if Dry Stall is good to use in coop? I can't find sweet PDZ.
Sorry this post is so late, I'm sure you found something but just in case...I believe Sweet PDZ is the same ingredient type stuff just dry stall is Canadian...and I believe sweet pdz works better at cutting the smell. Usually you can get either at places like TSC, Big R, Agway type feed stores Also i saw a similar post on BYC hopefully I put the link in correctly for you to check it out
thumbsup.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/478491/sweet-pdz-versus-drystall-for-odor

Maybe they need a ramp?

Do they never jump up on things?

I used to have three perches of different heights, and my adult cochins would jump on the first one, then the middle one, then up to the top. I never got my adult cochins to figure out the new poop board perches and they were in with them for about 4-5 months. Currently though I have cochins that are 5 months old in the main coop (moved my adults to a tractor), and I can't even get them to perch on a "training" perch I made that is about 10-12 inches off the floor. They still just pile up in the corner every night like they are a bunch of silly silkies!
roll.png

Last edited:
maybe you need to first figure out what they will agree to perch on.

I have three standard sized Cochins, and they are definitely slower and a bit more clumsy than my other breeds..

I have perches with about 4 inches of flat perch surface.

Maybe try that first as a training perch.

Also, since your guys are being so silly, I would make a 2x4 training perch that is only 5 inches above the ground.

Maybe also put stumps or some sturdy 5 to 6 inch tall somethings that they must jump up on to get treats out in their run.

I love all your ideas and the Amish built coop. I think my hubby could replicate it...with the help of a few master builder friends!! .........question...what size is the coop itself and how many hens are you keeping in it ?? also....how cold does it get during your winters, as this would be a factor in size of coop to chicken ratio in the cold of northern Michigan....

I use a kitty litter scoop (metal)- works great on my sand/poo mixture after raking with a plastic rake- I use the whole floor as a poop board.

I was hoping to use the bucket idea to clean my run, not just the inside of the coop. I agree a kitty scoop would work well for a small coop, but probably too small for a large run cleanup since it is about 20 feet wide and runs along the side and entire back of our 24' garage.. Oh well, back to my fishing net/hardware cloth contraption.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom