1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop board experts!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theoldchick, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    We're planning on using the lid of an 18 gallon Rubermaid container, though if I find a plastic try that fits better under the roosts, I'll go with that. Removal for depositing into the compost bin and a good hosing is a plus.

2. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:So an "L" shape, right? I would go ahead and put the droppings boards for both roosts at the same level. I have my roosts like this is both of my coops but I have both roosts at the same level to avoid squabbling in my flock over who gets the higher roost spots.

No its in a plus shape like this
    we don't have much space in there so its tricky
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Thanks for all this info! The photos are great!

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    For dropping boards under the L shaped roosts, simply use some large metal angle brackets (L) under, (or above I suppose) the dropping board along the wall, and use some small legs under the front edge for supporting it. Attach the shorter board of the L, to the edge of the longer board using flat metal braces that you can get at any hardware store. They are pre-drilled for screws. Just make sure your screws don't protrude through the boards, or your hens may injure themselves. If you add a lip as I have done, that should prevent that happening, or perhaps place an additional small block of wood where the screws would penetrate the boards.

The roost height won't make a difference, you can keep the dropping boards all at one level under the L. The poop just has to drop further from the higher roost..lol [​IMG]

5. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I put my poop boards above my nest boxes under the roosts, and it is working well so far. I put 18" stick on vinyl tiles on scrap 1/4" plywood to make em. easy clean up too.[​IMG]

6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Newbie, I love the way you have run the roosts all along the edge of your coop. I think I am going to do that this weekend.

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My poop board [​IMG]

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    And the helpers,I also use sweet pdz in mine and scoop it out everyday with a kitty litter scooper [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Henny Penny, I love your coop and poop boards!

10. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I LOVE my poop board! I have one long roost (2x4 -wide side for the girls to sit on) and 6" below the bottom of the roost, is a 20" wide pc of plywood the entire length of the roost. I place pine shavings on it.. Every morning, I use a cat litter scoop to get up the poop, rake the good shavings around! My coop smells good, the eggs are really clean and the girls feet are clean.. It was one of the best things I did for my coop...

You don't have to over think it--just something to catch the poop..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by