Poop boards, Easy Peezy (similar to PDZ), Rain and More Flies every 24 hours

traci808

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
Hello, Backyard Chickens Community!

I could use some help troubleshooting my new coop setup.

We have a coop with poop boards. I lined the poop boards with Easy Peezy (a horse stall freshener, similar to PDZ just a different brand). It's been raining every single day for over a week. Every day, when I go to scoop the poop out of the trays, flies have already arrived. They're tiny, not houseflies, and they look like gnats. It looks like they're in the Peezy too. Also, the back half of the tray (where the hens' butts hang) looks like wet sand (darker in color than the rest). After I clean out the poop, I stir the Peezy, hoping that will dry it out a bit, and things look relatively clean but not ideal, but I don't know what else to do. The next day it's the same mess.

My question is, could this be due to the rain? Or are my hens are basically pooping flies--should I be worried about their health? They look irritated because of the rain (we have gravel under the coop itself but the rest of the run is just a slick mud run at this point--it's pretty miserable) but otherwise appear to be healthy. Is my coop design flawed? Should I be asking different questions? I'm stumped and could use some help. Thank you.

Looks like you have been here for some time. Did this fly problem just happen now??? You chickens are not defecating those flies. Flies are naturally attracted to poop. You can possibly try a fly trap inside your coop. I don't know which flies you have, and also not a fly expert. You can try an insecticide from your feed supply store also. I used Sevin in the past to treat lice and such. You should read up on it and see if you are comfortable using it. Some say its safe, while others are opposed to it just the same. There are BYC threads here on Sevin . I declined to eat the eggs during treatment. (that was just my personal decision). In your muddy run, I suggest you get a few bales of straw/hay and spread so your chickens do not develop possible health issues. A dry chicken is a happy chicken. In my chicken area during summer I keep a number of fly traps going. It does not eliminate, the flies, but rather makes it manageable. Walmart and other retailers sell these for about $5.

269db46b-4fa2-41ec-87cf-317d3da50823_1.609646c79d74dc631e67b32938788501.jpeg

If the Easy Peezy is like PDZ, it adsorbs moisture. It is darker and looks like wet sand because it is wet. If the air is really moist it may not dry out completely but will once you get past this rainy spell.

As for the flies, you can make a natural repellent out of water, vinegar, peppermint oil, lavender oil and dish soap that you can spritz on the poop tray after cleaning that might help. There's tons of directions online.

DON'T put that hanging fly thing in your coop, IT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN !!
Use paper fly trap in the coop for the tiny gnats.

I am betting the gnats are from some wet food. I had that when I put a corn cob in for them to eat a few months ago. They didn't eat it and I got those gnats.
Hope that is what it is.

FYI, I use those big traps outside at the far end of the run so i don't have to smell it as much

Thank you so much for responding, everyone.

The fly problem just started now--it's a combination of the new coop (we used to have a wire floor under the roost) and the abnormally (for us) rainy weather. I'll spread some straw or something similar on the muddy run, research Sevin, buy a paper fly trap for the coop, and pray for sun. I really appreciate your advice.

Do you have any pictures of your coop and run? Does the rain blow inside on your poop boards? I would use natural wood chips in the run or do deep litter, depending how big it is. It will work better than straw.

Wood chips are good indeed, but depending on size of run and depth of mud, could require quite a few bag$. Deep litter is not an overnite happening, unless you have a forest with all ingredients nearby. Straw on the other hand is cheap and instantly gives a drier surface. It will eventually turn to deep litter if well maintained.

Back
Top Bottom