Poop Boards under a Roost

I have some that are 24 inches deep with a 2X4 roost 11-12 inches above that work pretty well. Mine are covered with Sweet PDZ and I keep them clean with a kitty litter scoop. The boards are about 30 inches off the ground with a 1X4 lip around the edge. The is a long thread on here somewhere called "Poop board convert," but I couldn't find it today.

The dropping boards with the PDZ are great, but I have 62 chickens and it can get a bit time-consuming each day to scoop them. I think they are probably better for smaller flocks. Deep litter is much easier for a big bunch of chickens because they can stir it around themselves if you throw out a little scratch each day. I have deep litter under my dropping boards.

My poop board is 24 inches wide and I placed the first roost near one edge because my hens roost facing right in this case and it gives them something sturdy to land on when they fly up.

My poop board is less than 3 1/2 inches below the 2x4 roost you see running the width of my coop. I have a second 2x4 running the width of the coop in the middle of this poop board. The poop board also catches any eggs laid during the night which saves the day in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom