Poop/Butt question.

bee7283

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Yermo, CA
I have ten one and a half week old chicks that I purchased a few days ago.
They all seem to be eating and drinking fine, but one of them had poo stuck on its vent/butt?
I got a warm wet towel and wiped it down and it seemed alright afterwards. I think I was more
bothered by it than the chick was. I'm just not sure if I should be concerned or if that is normal for chicks?
I'm sorry if this question has been asked more than once, there are just SO many pages of threads that I couldn't find too much about it.
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Totally normal and happens. Out of 17 chicks I had 3 that ha m this happen one time each. I cleaned them off and it didn't happen again. All within the first couple days we had them. 2 the first day, one the second. No biggie at all. You did right. Just clean them up and let them go. You can put a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in their water if you want. A lot of people think it will cure every chicken ailment, and perhaps it will, but it's one of those things that it never hurts to do really and it does promote better digestive health in just about every animal including people. I give acv to the chicks every once in a bit. I'm kind of lazy though so most of the time they just get straight water, an still no recurring pasty butt, so blah blah blah long story short its bit big deal..if it keeps happening give some acv and try raising the bulb some as it seems overheated chicks have more pasty butts than proper or cooler temped chicks

Totally normal and happens. Out of 17 chicks I had 3 that ha m this happen one time each. I cleaned them off and it didn't happen again. All within the first couple days we had them. 2 the first day, one the second. No biggie at all. You did right. Just clean them up and let them go. You can put a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in their water if you want. A lot of people think it will cure every chicken ailment, and perhaps it will, but it's one of those things that it never hurts to do really and it does promote better digestive health in just about every animal including people. I give acv to the chicks every once in a bit. I'm kind of lazy though so most of the time they just get straight water, an still no recurring pasty butt, so blah blah blah long story short its bit big deal..if it keeps happening give some acv and try raising the bulb some as it seems overheated chicks have more pasty butts than proper or cooler temped chicks
Thank you so so much! I feel a lot better now, and I will be moving the bulb back. I went through and checked everyone else's tooshes and they all seemed fine. The acv sounds like a good idea, too. I plan on using these chicks for help with composting - does that happen to mess with their tummies or bowels? If it does, I'd rather not let them help compost so they don't get upset stomachs.

What do you mean help with composting? As in letting them dig through the compost, or using their poops for compost, or both?

Chickens love compost piles Almost as much as compost piles love chickens. It's a totally symbiotic relationship

And temp isn't always the issue. You don't want the chicks too hot or too cold either. I don't use a thermometer in the brooder, I just watch the chicks and adjust the light accordingly. If they are all huddled or sleeping standing up then move the light closer.. If they are all smooshed in the corners move the light back, and if the randomly fall asleep
Face down all over the brooder then they are just right

It's good for them and the soil once they are a little older. I wouldn't put new chicks in the compost, but feathered chicks definitely

Yes, it is normal. Put about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of water or 1 Tablespoon per gallon. It will take care of all pasty butt in your chicks. Ever since I've used this on my chicks from day 1, I've never had pasty butt come up again. Chicks can die from pasty butt, but it's very easy to keep that from happening. You did the right thing by cleaning it all off. The best ACV would be to get unpasteurized "with the mother" - Braggs is one brand but Heinz is also making this type. Have fun with your new babies!!

It's good for them and the soil once they are a little older. I wouldn't put new chicks in the compost, but feathered chicks definitely
We had about three dozen chickens when I was a kid and we used them for all sorts of things. I remember hearing how they could help with compost, so that's good to know! Thank you a ton for all of your help.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom