Poop on chickens neck?

Miriahbrown

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2023
My chickens are 7 weeks old and one walked under a roost in time to get cecal poop all over her neck area... do we wash this or leave it? I'm not sure what to do. Her feathers are brown there now and it isn't dry or anything.. help? I've looked all around and can't find an answer 😅

You could wash it off using plain dish soap and being careful to keep the water warm (but not too hot!) and to dry her off completely and thoroughly afterward. However, I, personally, would just leave it. Most of it will dry and flake off, and what doesn't will be shed out during her juvenile molts as she continues to grow and replace feathers, so it will all eventually go away on its own anyway. Just be aware that it's there if you handle her and wash your hands afterward, of course!

You could wash it off using plain dish soap and being careful to keep the water warm (but not too hot!) and to dry her off completely and thoroughly afterward. However, I, personally, would just leave it. Most of it will dry and flake off, and what doesn't will be shed out during her juvenile molts as she continues to grow and replace feathers, so it will all eventually go away on its own anyway. Just be aware that it's there if you handle her and wash your hands afterward, of course!
Thank you! I'll just leave it :) less work

Back
Top Bottom