Poop pic.... Is this normal?

Are they still getting the oxytetracyline? If so, that might explain the poop.

-Kathy
this particular bird has had no antibiotics whatsoever and is in an entirely different pen from the others with respiratory illness. I just don't know what to do anymore, if its not one thing it seems to be another! I am so distraught and depressed over all of this.

I looked for corid today when I went to the feed store, all they had was gallon size for $90. Way out of price range for one bird. She is in a pen with one other chicken, probably the one that all of this came from, i dont know. I will NEVER take a free chicken from anyone ever again!!

Are they still getting the oxytetracyline? If so, that might explain the poop.

-Kathy

this particular bird has had no antibiotics whatsoever and is in an entirely different pen from the others with respiratory illness.  I just don't know what to do anymore, if its not one thing it seems to be another!  I am so distraught and depressed over all of this.  

I looked for corid today when I went to the feed store, all they had was gallon size for $90.  Way out of price range for one bird. She is in a pen with one other chicken, probably the one that all of this came from, i dont know.  I will NEVER take a free chicken from anyone ever again!!

I feel your pain, really, I do. Tractor Supply stocks Corid powder. Other brands you can look for are AmproMed and Amprol.

The bird with the funny looking poop... how old is she and has she ever been de-wormed?

-Kathy

I'm sorry you are dealing with sick birds. That is never fun.
hugs.gif

The pictures and the wet weather make me think of coccidia also. I have had more success treating for coccidia when I keep the bird warm, like under a brooder. If they are not eating well, they can not produce enough heat to keep warm. I am not sure what your temps are like now, but ours are definitely cooler. At this stage, Corid is your best bet. Until you can find some, try using raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg's, Spectrum, etc.) in the water (2-3 T/gal). Also get some good quality, organic plain yogurt, preferably with multiple live cultures. If you or anyone you know makes homemade kefir, that would be even better. Mix with some crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk. If she resists at first, sprinkle some feed on top to get her to try it - she'll soon learn how good it is. This is not really a cure, but will help support her until you can get some Corid or her body adapts and she beats it on her own. Good luck!

I feel your pain, really, I do. Tractor Supply stocks Corid powder. Other brands you can look for are AmproMed and Amprol.

The bird with the funny looking poop... how old is she and has she ever been de-wormed?

-Kathy
She was hatched in March 2015, so about 7 months old. I have not wormed her. Should I try that first? She has been not eating as well as she had been is how I noticed she wasn't feeling well. They have strike and wazine at the local feeed store, but I can make a trip to tractor supply tonight if need be. This is my baby, my absolute favorite, that got stepped on by a cow and has a funky leg now. She might as well be my second child. I will be devastated to lose her

I'm sorry you are dealing with sick birds. That is never fun.
hugs.gif

The pictures and the wet weather make me think of coccidia also. I have had more success treating for coccidia when I keep the bird warm, like under a brooder. If they are not eating well, they can not produce enough heat to keep warm. I am not sure what your temps are like now, but ours are definitely cooler. At this stage, Corid is your best bet. Until you can find some, try using raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg's, Spectrum, etc.) in the water (2-3 T/gal). Also get some good quality, organic plain yogurt, preferably with multiple live cultures. If you or anyone you know makes homemade kefir, that would be even better. Mix with some crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk. If she resists at first, sprinkle some feed on top to get her to try it - she'll soon learn how good it is. This is not really a cure, but will help support her until you can get some Corid or her body adapts and she beats it on her own. Good luck!
well she is now in the house, currently in my bathtub, and spent the night in my computer chair, where it is warm and dry. Its just been the last few days when it started raining that I noticed she did not feel well. Temps have not been too terribly cold, but still cooler than they have been. She has been holed up in her hutch since it started raining, and not been showing much interest in food, and stopped laying, that is what tipped me off. I thought maybe I would bring her in to watch some TV with me (we watched a show about chickens and she watched almost the entire thing, got really freaked out at the segment about a hawk attack) and while we were watching TV she took that huge watery dump that smelled to high heavens. I thought maybe I was just going crazy and over analyzing it, but I guess not :( She used to stay outside during the day then come inside to sleep at night, and anytime I come out to the backyard she comes hopping over as fast as her one good leg carries her, she knows she will get a snack when she comes inside. Maybe a little scratch, maybe some mealworms. She has not been doing that, i knew something was wrong. I really hope she can make it through this, after all we have been through!!

Keeping them in a warm house is a good idea... oes your feed store carry horse de-wormers? If so, you could use Safe-Guard horse paste. Do look around and see if you can find some Corid Powder or a smaller bottle of the liquid..

-Kathy

Keeping them in a warm house is a good idea... oes your feed store carry horse de-wormers? If so, you could use Safe-Guard horse paste. Do look around and see if you can find some Corid Powder or a smaller bottle of the liquid..

-Kathy
I did have everyone with respiratory illness in my sons bathroom, but due to space they are all now outside on my back porch. it is covered, but still outside. 3 sides of the cage are covered with cardboard, the top in newspapers and a blanket, and the front partially covered by a towel. They have lights for warmth. Do you think I should move them back inside or leave them out there? Running out of room for everyone :(

PJ's, the one with diarrhea, is staying inside no matter what she is my baby. I will be making a special trip to tractor supply tonight. If they have corid, would you prefer it over safe guard?

For my ones with respiratory illness, would you recommend duramycin or denagard? I think they have durmycin at tractor supply, denagard I will have to order. But before I go spend the money, which one would you rather get if it were you?

I tend to treat very aggressively, so I would treat with both Corid and Safeguard at the same time, but that's just how I do things here. Get both if you can afford it.

-Kathy

Don't think there's any point in giving Duramycin (tetracycline) if they didn't respond to the injectable oxytetracyline.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom