POOP! Poop everywhere! But I have a great idea!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishinwife, Jan 9, 2011.

1. fishinwife

fishinwife New Egg

May 18, 2010
    I am only supposed to let the chickens out for an hour a day due to massive amounts of poop they leave everywhere! It is time consuming to keep the yard and patio clean, and my previous method of scooping and dumping inefficient. My husband has threatened to get rid of the girls after stepping on poop way to much.
    We started to hose droppings off the patio and decided to try it in the grass too. WOW! A couple seconds from a powerful nozzle and the poop disintegrates right back into the grass, and fertilizes and waters as well. No more scooping for me! Yippee!

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

what is it with guys and poop? My hubby is the same way. Hes all "ARRRGGHHHH!!!! theres POOOOP!!!!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And Im like.. "oh, theres some poop...it happens" [​IMG] dont get it

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Good fertilizer [​IMG]

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Fresh chicken poop can burn as being too rich so make sure you distribute it all over.

And the poo aversion thing on men can be attributed to diaper- changing children [​IMG]

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I get tons of 4 & 5 gallon food grade buckets from a local bakery for 50 cents each. when i scrap off the poop from the boards, i do it right into a bucket and layer some handfuls of straw. once these buckets are all filled up, i put them into a back shed and usually sell them in the spring for $3.00 a bucket for gardeners to use. By the time April/May comes around, the poop/straw mix has "cooled" down and makes a great additions to either compost piles or gardens. I have several regulars who plan ahead and ask for it in the fall as well.

6. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Quote:My husband is the same way, such a baby![​IMG]

7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    My chicken free range on my yard in the summer. When my kids go out to play I have to go first and blast the poop with our garden hose.[​IMG] It 'vapourises' the poop, as my 3 year old likes to say.

8. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I hate the combination of winter and chicken poop. My girls free range all day.....which includes tons of time on my back patio looking into us humans in the kitchen. They poop ALL over the back patio, and then I can't wash it off because temps are so cold all my hoses have frozen (and I'd just end up with an ice rink even if I could get water out). Trying to scrape it off doesn't seem to work (though you'd think frozen poop would scrape off easy with a snow shovel). Sometimes I have to wait a week before temps are above freezing and I do bring out the hose.....but in the interim....my back patio is a disgusting poopy mess. I cannot build a fence around my patio, nor do I have the heart to "lock" the chickens up all day, when I have nice large fenced backyard for them to roam around in. It's just something I'm learning to live with until I can come up with a better solution. Perhaps this coming summer, I'll buy or make a large fenced run for them, that I would't feel bad keeping them in all day when temps are frigid.

During the summer it is like a mine field in my yard...and I have a large yard and only 3 chickens. I'd blast the poop into the lawn with a hose, if I could find it all..........we just can't run around the yard barefoot anymore....

Such is life with chickens...and I still love them!

9. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    with free franging birds you don't have to distribute it :]

10. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    Quote:The difference.....Mommyhood !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by