Poop question (pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunnychick, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Sunnychick

Sunnychick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    I just went out to clean my chickens and found this on the perch. Could this be worms? I think it came from one of my young roosters. The red things in it are soft. I have nothing in my yard that is red or feed them anything red so I am really worried. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Is that where red hots come from?

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    it doesnt look like worms it looks like beans or like what the other person said maybe candy ir something you might want to search the yard top to bottom

4. Sunnychick

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    That is the first thing I thought of when I saw it. I have never seen anything like it before.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Pomegranate???

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Watch for more poops; could be Cocci. Is it a young cockerel?

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ya i really couldnt tell you but maybe seperate the cock from the others and keep a good eye on him

8. Sunnychick

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    They are about 3 months old. I do have some Amprol liquid. Should I just go ahead and treat them all for Cocci? I think the last time I treated them was in June.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Do any of them appear to be not feeling well? Typically Cocci will present with lethargy. I would suggest if no one seems to be feeling ill to just watch them closely. It's really never a good idea to treat "just in case."

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree.

If acting normal otherwise, they probably ate something in the yard. Things can get in yards in the oddest ways, I mean, I had a flock of crows drop a whole corn dog in our drive nearly hitting the truck as they were fighting over it in the air. Treating "just in case" is a good way to make organisms resistant to the drugs, both the good and bad organisms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by