poop stuck on my chickens bottom (large area) ! help what do I do?

I just pull it off along with any feathers quick and easy, just yank them out and then there will be no more problems in the future. sure they give a little squak, but doing all that washing and stuff takes forever and makes more of a mess than you might figure. I prefer less feathers in the rear area for health and sanitary reasons not to mention it helps with fertility. But I am sure those with named pet chickens would prefer the whole giving it a warm scented bubble bath and a cup of tea afterwards treatment LOl it's all good whichever way you decide is best. keep her vent area treated with a salve or bag balm to prevent this from happening again and make sure she is drinking, dehydration is the main cause for cluster butt.

HEY who couldnt use a warm scented bubble bath and a cup o tea?! (Now we should have thought of THAT the day before yesterday).... this helps me a bit, have this issue going on with my Roo and one of my hens..... Am glad it seems like its no big deal....

I also cut clumped ones off. This morning their butts look fluffy again. Some featherless areas but much better then large clumps of dried poo. So glad I took care of it. I bet not 1/2 as glad as they are!

Good Answer...My Brahmas had this problem, I used the hose and then had to use scissors to cute feathers as it appears they also have some feather matting and or lice/mites so then I sprayed them. Maybe this is why they aren't such good layers. I have dusted with DE to the bedding and sprayed with Poultry Care hope it gets rid of them. Not sure what else to do. They are 7months...

I use the hose to wash pooey feathers too, but if I do a good enough job there's no need to chop matted feathers away because there aren't any. I try to do it before it's time to take...er...drastic measures. I usually blow-dry the bottom afterwards or hold her in front of a powerful pedestal fan.

I know this post is a little old, but are Silkies more prone to this? It seems as though some of my girls have it, the bedding is pine shavings, when they sleep at night might it stick to their butts and make it worse? They just all kicked into high gear laying eggs....if that is a factor.

I'm glad for this forum. I thought it was martians! I'm ripping it off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom