Poopy butts? Is there a reason?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
So I have buff orpingtons and jersey giants and they all have very very fluffy bottoms mostly in the summer/spring they get poopy butts I’m worried about fly strike so I do give them baths but I’m starting to get worried is it just cause they’re fluffy and drinking a lot of water or is something wrong I can keep giving them baths but I wanted to check!

Thanks In advance

I had a few fluffy hens like that. I would up trimming the floof from under the business area to keep it in check. Not bald mind you. Just a trim. If it wasn’t enough then I’d trim more at the next de-pooping session.

Nothing is wrong except for in a few cases, a hen may be sporting a little extra fanny fat which acts as a protruding ledge that the poop will sometimes get hung up on or a hen may not have the muscle to shoot the poop beyond their butt feathers.

You are correct that a lot of water in the foods they eat can cause runny poop that can make for messy butt feathers. Don't hesitate to give occasional butt tune-ups to prevent fly strike.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your birds. As the others have said, you can do some butt trims
shave GIF by dananthonykelly

I have three hens of same breed Lemon cuckoo niederrheiner) that requires regular spa days about once a month. Two of them have short legs, all have wide bodies and extra fluffy patooties. They LOVE the hair dryer set to cool.
I also use spa day to examine them thoroughly because two of the LCN have bumblefoot- also treated today.

You might want to look them over often to make sure the vent area is clean. Trimming extra poof feathers and pulling off any dried poop is helpful. Fly strike (maggot infestation of the vent from flies) is deadly, so prevention is good. Keeping droppings raked and picked up, keeping bedding dry and stirred, and adding clean bedding often is good. Sand in runs is helpful and droppings can be raked daily. Chickens drink a lot during hot weather, and that can lead to runny poops. Those tend to get stuck on feathers and then cake up. Keeping flies down with traps or permethrin may help.

Back
Top Bottom