Poor duck!

Ameemo38930

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
Greenwood Ms.
I’ve acquired 2 ducks yesterday. One Mallard and 1 Pekin. The Pekin has a swollen leg. She limps but gets around pretty good. I know it hurts cause it has some fever in it. Any ideas what is wrong? This is not her but the swelling seems to be in the knee and tibia and the tarsusmetatarsus. Foot seems to be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    820.9 KB · Views: 49
Maybe a fracture? do you know what her feed was before she came to you? her age and if she was laying eggs? She may have a injury a fracture or a calcium or niacin deficiency. Rest and vitamin support like Liquid B complex in case it's a niacin deficiency also wouldn't hurt to try her on some calcium when they lay eggs they can get depleted. Calcium citrate is one and also liquid Calcium gluconate. Having her rest can help her recover and use water therapy to keep her muscles from getting weak. Just make sure she can get in and out of the pool safely.
Both liquid B complex and liquid Calcium gluconate can get given over a small amount of treat so you know she is getting full doses. 1 ml for both daily until you see her recovered then a week longer. Being she is a Pekin and they can have leg issues all their lives because of their weight you might want to keep her on something like Nutritional yeast once she is over her problems she is having now. That would be 1 Tab over each cup of feed you give them and will not hurt you Mallard from having it.
The only other thing I can rec is taking her to a vet for examination.
Can she extend her leg completely down like the healthy one? so we can rule out tendon issue.

Thanks for your reply. She has become a he, 😂😂😂. I’m new to ducks so…… I have put him on nutritional yeast and a much better diet! No junk food! People for some reason like to see ducks gobble up bread and crap. Swelling is going down and he is getting much more spunkier! Seems happier!

Back
Top Bottom