1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor feather growth after last moult

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdanielsrn, Feb 24, 2016.

1. jdanielsrn

jdanielsrn New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi all,
    I have an oder RIR named big Red. She had her last molt this past October. She has grown all her feathers back except around her neck? She is happy, eating and foraging well but I'm concerned she is missing something.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks

2. Hope1122

Hope1122 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    Brunswick Oh
    I have a older hen too named big red. She was doing the same thing. However I noticed she was pulling them out around her neck area from being inside during winter bored.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Pick her up and examine her head. Look for mites/abnormalities in her mouth, nostrils and ears. If she's not ill (sneezing, nasal-aural discharge) Give her a bath in cat flea shampoo, rinse well, and blow dry her. Observe her vent area for abnormalities. Often these older hens are pushed away from prime food sources so make sure she can to the food. You can increase her dietary protein by adding occasional meat treats to her diet.

Just a few things to think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by