Poor Hurt Lovie...

How long can she safely go without pooping? Everything I have given her until now other than the few oats have been snubbed. I'm very close to sending my kids out to catch her a big juicey bug and see if she'll eat that. She's just hanging in the back of her "crate" the woman I got her from said that she had hardly come out of the dog house in days.
I wonder if I could give her a buddy that I wouldn't really care about losing, I hate to say that but I have 23, 5 week old meat chickens and since their fate is becoming dinner anyway it wouldn't be a huge deal if I lost one to sickness. I really don't think she's sick. She has no eye or nasal discharge, she's not sneezing, coughing, etc. Dispite it all her eyes are bright, she's alert to her surroundings, just scared stiff I think.
I think I figured out how the roo was getting out of the pen and she wasn't. ALL of her flight feathers on both sides are clipped short short. I betcha that roo wasn't clipped.
Pics are coming. I took them, now I'm uploading to photobucket.
Thanks guys.

Windows-1252BSU1HMDAzNzQuanBn.jpg

Windows-1252BSU1HMDAzNzUuanBn.jpg

Windows-1252BSU1HMDAzODEuanBn.jpg

Windows-1252BSU1HMDAzNzYuanBn.jpg

I'm waiting for more butt pictures to upload..
Do you guys agree that she looks Wyandott-ish?

I'm so glad she found someone to take care of her. I would use a diluted iodine (light tea color) and squirt it inside the puncture wounds. You want to make sure the wound heals from the inside out instead of closing up from the outside and trapping any infection causing an abscess. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

I was kinda hoping secretly that she might be an EE as the woman said that she had found odd colored eggs and brown ones from both hens but didn't know which was which...
Hopefully she'll lay when she's better and the eggs are tinted! lol
I have a white egg layer, alot of browns, and dark browns, but no blues or greens lol

her "willingness" to be handled by a stranger...the stress from the dog attack and move now to your house... sounds like she is a bit shocky to me and I would put electrolytes in her waterer. You can add JUST enough cooked human oatmeal through her chicken feed to make it clump...put that is a bit of watermelon (scooped out to form a "bowl" for it) as the red color will initiate pecking and the watermelon itself will hydrate her. also offer her some live culture yogurt (plain non flavored) >>>this is just to get her eating....
For the dog wound clav amoxcillin is recommended but you would need RX from vet unless you have some human source of it... from the AVIAN WOUND management site:
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/august/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Assessment.html
excerpt summary on TREATMENT measures:
"....Analgesia and antibiotics - broad spectrum antibiotics can be provided in the first instance: clavulanic acid potentiated amoxycillin (150mg/kg orally or subcutaneously) will provide cover against most aerobes and anaerobes. Analgesia can be provided with NSAIDs (e.g. carprofen (Rimadyl)) 5mg/kg subcutaneously or intravenously. Local anaesthetics should not be used in birds due to the suggested sensitivity of birds to drugs of the procaine group "."

I've also had really good results from spraying a betadine wash on wounds.
Similar to what we ladies had to do after giving birth -- just mix some betadine (we always called it monkey blood) and some saline in a bottle with that pull-up top and soak the area with it and pat dry.
Good luck!
Cathi
P.S. She looks like my mean little SLW.

Back
Top Bottom