Poor kitties

Quote:
Im glad to know all this. Now, if I ever see anyone shaking babies, sacrificing small helpless animals, and beating up old ladies - I will be sure to alert the proper authorities instead of taking immediate action.

Quote:
I am pretty sure you are wrong. At least where I have lived, if your animal is wandering freely with no identification, it is a stray. Even though she knew the owner of the cats, unless I mis-read, she took the cats from her Aunt's home. Unless the laws are very different where she lives, these cats were basically fair game to anyone or anything that wanted them.

Believe what you want to believe. I saw nothing in the post that said that the animal was wandering without identification (or if such was needed - it is not where I live for a cat), I did however notice that it was common knowledge who it belonged to.

I read a post about a person who visited her aunt’s house TWICE and took it upon themselves to abscond with her aunt’s neighbor’s animals. To each their own - I guess.

Quote:
Im glad to know all this. Now, if I ever see anyone shaking babies, sacrificing small helpless animals, and beating up old ladies - I will be sure to alert the proper authorities instead of taking immediate action.

roll.png
See my first post - that was for you.

I seen the momma cat several times and her older kitten,but didnt have the time/option to really check them out and when I did have the chance I was ticked a the way the looked and how they were cared for.

The mom's older kitten is maybe 4 months old, she shouldnt be having litter after litter.

I only seen the mom cat at my aunts house,she is the one who feeds them, so its almost like it was her cat in the first place.
The people across the street never put food out for her, my aunt spent more on the cat then the real owners.

Quote:
I’m sorry that you have to hear about this in this manner but animals are considered to be personal property in my state and as far as I am aware of in all others as well. They are not to be confused with babies and the elderly.

Were the proper authorities notified that you as a concerned citizen were taking action into your own hands and taking the animals from your *aunt’s neighbor whom you had talked to about his animals ONCE and seen the animals in question TWICE* - I bet that would have went well!

I would totally AGREE that it is not proper or even probably legal to have animals that reproduce without the owner being responsible for the offspring (hard to enforce). There is a way to go about preventing and reporting the abuse of animals and this is NOT it. It sounds like you had a cursory discussion with your AUNT’S NEIGHBOR about his animal and skirted what you really meant to say! Did you say that you felt that he was abusing his animals?- probably not. Did you say that you felt that you could provide them with a better home? - probably not. What does your aunt have to say about this anyway?

You have your own rationalizations for what you have done - don't confuse those for either being moral or legal no matter what you woud like to believe. There were other ways to go about this that you did not even try.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know in many areas, this cat would be legally the Aunt's due to the fact that she was the one feeding her. I know of two people who have been told this by authorities when they were feeding either a neighbor's or a stray.

Now please let this thread get back onto topic or I'm afraid it will end up locked.

Thank you for saving the Momma and her kittens.

You care and compassion are evident, but your methods are misguided.

It is imperative that you go through proper channels if you suspect animal abuse/neglect. You should have contacted animal control. You say there is no animal control in your area, but there is. Local law inforcement is animal control if you do not have an ACO. As much as I abhor indiscriminate breeding, it is unfortunately not illegal. It is up to AC control to determine if any laws have been broken, not you. Your job is to report. AC's job is to investigate, educate, and inforce the law.

You have taken these cats illegally and now the autorities have no way of knowing what conditions the cats were living in before you took them. The owners of the cats have every right to take you through the legal system for theft. Since you have no documentation that the animals were neglected, you have no recourse to keep them. This could go on your criminal record.

Last edited:
Well here is my opinion, it was illigal to take the animals. However I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, it does sound like the cat is living at the aunts, and maybe legally could be considered hers. I know my sister in law has cats moving in on her all the time, some technically belong to other people, but once they find her house they tend to stay (much to her annoyance). If I lived in town I'd put id tags on my cats, or keep them inside, otherwise I would imagine they may move in w/ someone else or become a nuisances for my neighbors (who may think they are strays). (Ironically my sister in law has two cats (that she claims) and I never see them off her property even though they are outside).

These cats where clearly being neglected, and the neighbor doesn't seem to have any plans to change that. I'm sure there are other ways, but if those cats lived here they'd be doomed if no one took them in. The police here will not do anything, they have better things to do (ticket writing is so time consuming). The only thing you might do is call the dog pound who "might" come pick them up, I guess then you could adopt from them (and cats are free). The only other option I can see is trying to buy them from the current owner, but I'm sorry I'm not going to pay someone to be neglectful. I guess one other option would be to take the cat, have it spayed, and return it (also illigal, but in this case the neighbor probably would be happy), I wouldn't because again it's just a reward for the neighbor to be irrisponsible.

I think for people that do have options in these cases, it's just so hard to imagine it without any, and here there would be no help for these cats unless someone was willing to step in and "steal" them. Now I'm not saying the OP didn't have options, I don't know their area, but I know not everyone does.

Quote:
So she should have just let the cat, and her kittens die, or let the mother cat keep pumping out litter upon litter.
roll.png

Im glad she did what she did. I would do the same thing. There are people out there who have hearts and dont want animals to suffer.

Back
Top Bottom