Poor lil lavender silkie :(

Dirtroadboho

In the Brooder
May 5, 2022
Good morning, well kind of..
I woke up and our electricity was out. I immediately checked my brooder. I had 4 small silkies, one that is approx 5 weeks, one about 4 weeks, and two about 2-3 weeks old.

Upon discovery, the “mama hen” as I call her because she is already mothering the others, was laying on top of the others, I’m thinking to keep warm. Poor little lavender baby was at the bottom of the pile dead.
I’m so upset.
Besides the brooder light being off, is the older one too big to keep in with the little girls? This is my first time having chickens, so I am still learning. I mean, this is normal practice for chickens right? Do you think the little chick was already compromised? Mama hen laying on them wouldn’t be enough to kill them I’m sure..

I’m sorry if my questions seem dumb..

I also read something about silkies are better in twos.. such as.. now that I have only 3, should I add one more?

Attachments

• A2DDF05E-1ED2-4F1E-8951-8C2A4E99F259.jpeg
    A2DDF05E-1ED2-4F1E-8951-8C2A4E99F259.jpeg
    997.2 KB · Views: 8
This is a tragedy, no doubt about it. It's upsetting and terribly sad. Unexpected deaths do happen all the time with chickens of all ages, but it's especially sad when it's a tiny chick.

There is a good chance this chick was compromised, weak, not able to pry itself out from under the pile. That's what it's called - piling. When chicks are cold, they pile, and almost almost always, one or two get smothered at the bottom.

I am so sorry! I wish I could help, but I have never had that happen to me. Talk to the following for help. @azygous , @SacredWaves , @SilverBirds , @Kiki , @Tonyroo , @Eggcessive , @EggSighted4Life , @Wyorp Rock . Hope this was helpful! I hope you get over the loss. I wish I cou,d give you advice, but I have not even had my birds for a year yet, sooooo.... I am SO SO SO sorry you needed to find it dead.
Thank you so much..I’m still upset about it and watching my partridge silkie like a hawk.. so far she seems very active and happy and keeping up with the big girls. It’s not usual for the electricity to
So sorry for your loss.

I got a little confused reading. What was the age of the one that died?
it was about 2 weeks

This is a tragedy, no doubt about it. It's upsetting and terribly sad. Unexpected deaths do happen all the time with chickens of all ages, but it's especially sad when it's a tiny chick.

There is a good chance this chick was compromised, weak, not able to pry itself out from under the pile. That's what it's called - piling. When chicks are cold, they pile, and almost almost always, one or two get smothered at the bottom.
I’m so sad it happened!! ..but I guess it’s all a learning experience..

Back
Top Bottom