Poorly chicken

Sarah-lee

Hatching
Aug 22, 2017
I have a chicken called cocoa age approx 3years notice 3 weeks ago crop empty and eye sight not good ( eyes perfect condition )she had upper respiratory sinus treated with antibiotics and a different lots of antibiotics eventually cleared eating well but seem to have a fear for drinking water so gave her moist food to get water in her then on the Monday night had a big seizure wings flapping and turning over on her back lasted 30 secs followed by 3 small ones Tuesday morning sleepy came to back to her normal self good day very selective in her eating ate lots of greens few grapes some seed eye sight seems to be getting worse Wednesday night little seizures followed by a big one took her hour half to come out it Thursday morning back to herself Friday very quiet took her vets said she healthy stable weight throat clear look inside ears clear eyes perfect gave her vitamin b injection treated her for mites that evening and Saturday brilliant day dust bath walking around but knocking into things but happy sunbathe for short periods think sun effecting eyes ate like a pony but through the whole time she's always twitching head lots and scratching head/ears Saturday afternoon took turn for the worse small blips of I guess seizures lost balance clicking beak like grinding teeth eyes flicking in time with heart beat trying to stand feet curled and parting making low key continuous noises kept falling to one side awful to watch and experience stayed up with her all night took her vets next morning and put her to rest very emotional had anyone experience this at all I can't understand she was so healthy in feathers skin eyes weight feet poor cocoa

I'm very sorry for your loss:hugs

The symptoms you describe sound a neurological and very much like Marek's. Even though she was 3yrs old - it's still a possibility especially if you have added new chickens to your flock recently.
There can be so many things go wrong with chickens - it would be a good idea to send her for necropsy/testing to your state lab so you can get a definitive answer.
Here's more information on Marek's and a link to find your state lab:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Hi thanks for your feed back I did introduce 3 new ones last year ..... no signs of anything
I suppose once chickens start having seizures out look not really good

Back
Top Bottom