Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
England
Hi guys I'm in dyer needs of some help,
My chickens keep dying around 10 to 16 weeks, I've tried everything,
All thing point to coccidiosis but I have medicated the birds since birth
Symptoms are
Weak, sleepy eyes, sneezing and runny nose, loss of appetite, fluffed up, weight loss.
I have struggled with this for about a year now and I'm on the verge of giving up my farm. I performed a postmortem last night and forms no signs of blood in the crop, intestines or stomach the only thing I found was she was totally empty nothing in crop or intestines.
I'm quite well experienced with chickens so I feel quite heartbroken that my knowledge I of no use to me
Kind regards for any one whom takes the time to read or reply to me
Phill

Hi guys I'm in dyer needs of some help,
My chickens keep dying around 10 to 16 weeks, I've tried everything,
All thing point to coccidiosis but I have medicated the birds since birth
Symptoms are
Weak, sleepy eyes, sneezing and runny nose, loss of appetite, fluffed up, weight loss.
I have struggled with this for about a year now and I'm on the verge of giving up my farm. I performed a postmortem last night and forms no signs of blood in the crop, intestines or stomach the only thing I found was she was totally empty nothing in crop or intestines.
I'm quite well experienced with chickens so I feel quite heartbroken that my knowledge I of no use to me
Kind regards for any one whom takes the time to read or reply to me
Phill
When you say "medicated since birth"do you mean medicated feed? If so,medicated feed will not treat coccidiosis,you need a coccidiostat like Corid(Amprolium). Sneezing/running nose indicates respiratory infection.

I agree with TenChicks. If there is an acute outbreak feed medicated with amprollium is too weak a dose to cure it--they need the full strength drug. You may have to get it from your vet. Cocci will not cause the respiratory symptoms you are having--coccidiosis can weaken a bird so that they can have 1 or more infections going on at the same time. An antibiotic should be prescribes after amprollium treatment (or at the same time if your vet okays this.) You may need to get a necropsy done on one of your birds to know exactly what is affecting them.

Hi guys thankyou for your help
I have been medicating the girls with herban liquid treatment for cocci, it does seem to be a respiratory cause
But I'm not sure where to go from here
Thanks again

If your birds have a virus they can eventually recover from it unless they get a secondary bacterial infection. For bacterial respiratory infections such as mycoplasma and coryza, they need an antibiotic. I don't think an herbal remedy would help.

Back
Top Bottom