Poorly duckling - bent neck! Please help.

Here some updated pictures of Wilbur.

He seemed happy this morning, I gave him scrambled egg with the Vit E and selenium. Ate it all up.

His neck got a bit worse from the first pictures I had posted, which is the result in this picture. It hasn't gotten any worse since.

Again he is ok in himself.

His neck got a bit worse from the first pictures I had posted, which is the result in this picture. It hasn't gotten any worse since.

Again he is ok in himself.
I have one that started out like that and got worse as she grew. The whole time she acted normal, and still does. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might be a genetic defect that is not treatable.

-Kathy

Does your duck live a happy life??

Wilbur seems to be happy, which is why I want to be patient with him. And if this is how he will be, and won't be in any pain or anything. Then I can accept this.

I'm going to continue with the vitimins this can't be bad for them.

I just don't want to be cruel if he is in pain.

Does your duck live a happy life??

Wilbur seems to be happy, which is why I want to be patient with him. And if this is how he will be, and won't be in any pain or anything. Then I can accept this.

I'm going to continue with the vitimins this can't be bad for them.

I just don't want to be cruel if he is in pain.
My duck is three this year and still quite happy, I just don't let her incubate eggs.

-Kathy

My partner has been talking to somebody and they have suggested it may be Crop in the duck. And they may have food stuck - and maybe we could try massaging it.

Thought I would as your advice before we start doing stuff like that.

Just read this thread....Hoping Wilbur is improving.
As always, Kathy is giving great advice....such a big help.

Before you massage his neck, you need to palpate it gently to see if there is anything solid in the crop. He could have swallowed a piece of rock or a tidbit of wood that has not passed on to the digestive system. You also don't want to massage too hard...if there is anything in the crop that could cause injury to his esophagus or crop. Ducks don't regurgitate things they have swallowed. The gizzard usually holds items until they are either dissolved by gastric juices or ground up by small stones the bird swallows.

If the crop is impacted, you will notice a significantly sour odor from his mouth. Since this has been going on for several days with no odor reported, I doubt Wilbur has an impacted crop.

Poly-Vi-Sol is a liquid baby vitamin. Don't purchase the liquid vitamin with iron. NO iron for poultry..

Holding good thoughts for Wilbur.

Just read this thread....Hoping Wilbur is improving.
As always, Kathy is giving great advice....such a big help. 

Before you massage his neck, you need to palpate it gently to see if there is anything solid in the crop.  He could have swallowed a piece of rock or a tidbit of wood that has not passed on to the digestive system. You also don't want to massage too hard...if there is anything in the crop that could cause injury to his esophagus or crop.   Ducks don't regurgitate things they have swallowed.  The gizzard usually holds items until they are either dissolved by gastric juices or ground up by small stones the bird swallows. 

If the crop is impacted, you will notice a significantly sour odor from his mouth.  Since this has been going on for several days with no odor reported,  I doubt Wilbur has an impacted crop.

Poly-Vi-Sol is a liquid baby vitamin.  Don't purchase the liquid vitamin with iron.  NO iron for poultry..

Holding good thoughts for Wilbur. 

Excellent advice!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom