Poorly Hen - shell less egg, lethargic

WheelerHen

Hatching
Oct 20, 2020
I normally find all my answers on this forum, but I have a poorly hen that I am not sure what to try.

This morning, one of my hens didn’t run out of her coop as normal. When she slowly came out, she wasn’t at all interested in eating or drinking and had laid a shell-less egg in the night. This is the first time anything like this has happened to my hens and always lay one egg each every day.

I did some Googling and soaked her in some warm water and massaged her abdomen and crop to see if this would help. After a bit she ate a little and perked up. However, this was short lived and she’s still feeling pretty sorry for herself. Her abdomen felt normal and her crop was quite full, but soft and normal feeling. She looks fine, eyes and comb normal. Just very lethargic, slow and off her food.

I’ve separated her from the rest of the hens and put her in a box for the night with just water.
I’ve also managed to get some olive oil into her in the hope that if there’s any blockages it might help.

Her diet hasn’t changed, she has normal layers pellets and sweetcorn and lettuce everyday.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hens who lay shell-less eggs may feel poorly for a little while during and after laying. It might just be a one time thing, but this can be related to a calcium deficiency, but it also might be related to a reproductive problem she is experiencing. Injuries, stress, infection, and salpingitis are some of the possible causes. For several days it might be good to give her some oral calcium with vitamin D3 1/2 tablet or 1/2 of a Tums.

Back
Top Bottom