Poorly Hen

What I haven't thought to mention is that I've noticed she's carrying quite a heavy lice load. The other two hens have none that I can see, and the roo has some nits, but I can't see any live bugs.
At any rate,I treated them all , and the coop yesterday with DE, since apparently we can't get Sevin here without a license.
How long approximately before the DE kills the live bugs? I know I'll have to dust again in a few days to get hatched nits.
Hate to tell you this, but DE won't kill the lice. I tried it, but gave up and now I use Poultry Dust or 5% Sevin Powder. Can you get cat/kitten flea spray or powder?

-Kathy

Well that's not news I wanted to hear, especially after having to catch everyone yesterday. Lol
I asked at the local feed store about the Sevin, and they informed me that it's been restricted. They gave me the DE, but I'll be heading there again tomorrow and see if they have anything else.
I've never looked for flea spray or powder, but I'll keep an eye out.
Are there any special considerations when treating a bird with cat flea treatment?

Personally I have found that DE worked for me for both lice and mites but everyone's circumstances are different. I used a brand name called Smite which is widely available here in the UK and sold specifically for poultry I believe.
I keep a tray of very slightly moist sawdust with a scoop of Smite mixed into it in the hen house for the girls to dust bath in, when the ground outside is too wet for them to hit their normal dust bath area

What may have happened with your hen is that because she was feeling unwell, she has not been dust bathing/preening as much as the other hens and it doesn't take long for lice to take advantage of that.

It will take a day or two for the DE to work if it is going to, but you will need to repeat as eggs hatch.

I hope your hen is feeling better soon. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on what may be wrong with her, but she is lucky to have someone who cares so much. Will keep fingers crossed for her.

Best wishes

Barbara

Get a kitchen scale and start weighing her at the same time every morning. If she's not inside, she really needs to be in where it's warm 80-85 degrees is ideal. If she isn't drinking she needs to fluids tubed to her. If not eating, she needs to be tube fed once she's hydrated.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy.
She has been eating both yesterday and today, which is why I haven't gone ahead with tube feeding. She's also been drinking from the waterer.
The worming seems to have been a turning point. Knock wood.
I've had her inside and crated all week, with the exception of allowing her to walk about outdoors for a few hours each day, which actually seems to be helping. I have a scale, I'll start weighing her tomorrow morning for sure.

I called around today, looking for Sevin or something similar, but it can only be distributed to licensed farmers. Pretty frustrating, as I can imagine she's uncomfortable, and I'd really like to rid her of the bugs.

I'll check out the treatment you linked to.

Barbara,
Thank you so much for your insight and kind words. I hate to choose, but she's my favourite girl and it's been a long week.
We're very new to chickens, and although I've wanted to keep hens for the majority of my adult life, I've only recently been in the position to do so. I'm very glad to have a resource of knowledgeable chicken folks here, particularly since no vets in my area see chickens.

I figured the lice were probably being opportunistic. I've placed a tray with the DE inside the covered run for them to use as well. I don't really like the idea of treating chemically, but they've got to be bothering her.

Thank you again, good vibes are much appreciated!

Hi Again

Just to clarify... you have mixed the DE with sand or some other medium, like the sawdust I use for instance. The DE on it's own is very dusty and could well cause them respiratory problems. I use a scoop (approx.1-2 heaped tablespoon) of DE to a shovel full of sawdust.

I'm not keen on using chemicals either but there are times when it can be necessary. I prefer to try the other options first. Here in the UK, medication is more restricted than in the US anyway, so sometimes we have little choice. I'm also a beekeeper and that makes me much more wary of how safe some of these chemicals are, especially when they are in such widespread use.
Anyway, that's just my opinion. Just really wanted to be sure you had mixed the DE into something in the dust bath rather than leaving it neat, so to speak.

Regards

Barbara

I'm happy it works for you,
big_smile.png
but it didn't work for me, and I completely covered my hens in in and several days later they still had them. Also put it in all their dust bating area. Sick birds need to be deloused one way or the other, so if it works, great, but if it doesn't... one needs to figure out another option. FWIW, I wouldn't suggest bathing a sick bird... been too many people on BYC that have killed their birds doing it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom