Pop door on the hen house?

rugznjones

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Our hen house is inside a inclosed run. Solid roof and concrete all around the bottom with wire sunk in pretty much fort knox. We live in a area where it only gets down to 15 degrees maybe once a year. We were going to put a door on the hen house later this summer or fall before it gets cold but I'm wondering if we need to lock up our girls every night anyways??

If you are totally confident in your run's construction, you could just leave their door open, or just doorless. Then you don't have to make a trip every morning to let them out. And really, I don't think you have to worry much about having the pop door open in the winter. Should not be a big deal. After all, the whole front of my coop is open year round, and the chickens don't have any problems from it.
Jack

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

This is what ours looks like... So I guess my question is the chickens will know to go and put themselves to bed inside the house? or will they roost outside?

Being that the coop is not that big. And depending on how many chickens you have, and whatever the temp might be on any given day/night. I believe that yes, you may have some that will prefer to roost out in the protected run. The run looks pretty secure, so that shouldn't be a big deal.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom