Pop up trailor for a chcken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Chicken People, Sep 6, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I was just sitting outside thinking about winter and my coop when I realized I could remake the old camper into a coop! Its already on wheels.It is up off the ground. It is well insulated! This keeps getting better!

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    WOW, sounds like a plan to me! [​IMG] Go for it!

3. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Your idea is very interesting.
    How to you turn a pop up into a coop?
    After scouring craigslist and such for a small trailer, I can't find an affordable one anywhere.

4. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Well the sides are wood and my DH said we can secure them ...use plywood and screen for the other sides install nests boxes and roosts! I am really eager to start this project and will take and post pics! BTW the camper is free!

5. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    We were discussing the same thing for the camper sitting in our yard today. I cannot wait to see how you do it to yours. I will be waiting for updates.

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Check this video out. Chicken Camper!

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Can't wait to see pics!

8. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I had a somewhat similiar idea this summer. I wanted a coop that was movable, yet big enough for around 15 chickens. I had a utility trailer that had set off to the side of property and not been used in several years. I built a coop on that frame. Not as cool as the camper idea, which would be less work. If I can ever figure out how to get pictures onto a post or to a BYC Page , I'll be able to show it to you. I tried two different times to get pictures to a BYC page. I can get text , but no luck with pictures.

My friends thought it was way cool, after i got it done I hooked it up to truck and took it on a tour , stopping by to show off my new coop. It goes down the road just fine at 55 mph.

The camper idea should work with a few modifications.

9. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Its raining all week and we have to get it pulled up here by the house! It currently sits down by the pond! Believe it or not I actually slept in it a few years ago! That was a wonderful party! I am looking forward to it! Everyone pray for no more rain! I want to get it started before Bow season opens!I saw the camper video and I thought OMG will they ever quit coming out!LOL! My birds are prettier! As for pics try using image shack?

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm glad to hear someone has done this. I saw a trailer recently and my first thought was "Wow, that would be a great base for a chicken coop!" but it wasn't mine and I didn't know if anyone else had ever done this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by