Porcelain Cuckoo silkies

MrPompadour

Hatching
Jun 10, 2022
Hello everyone! Sorry for my english because I'm not a native speaker so I'm going to have some mistakes in this kind of "thread" 😅🤓
The point is that a couple of months ago I purchase four silkies from a breeder that no longer wanted them. They were from one of the best lines of silkies that we have here, so I decide to give this birds a chance and try to get some chicks.
The expectations were low, because I only have one female (a lavender cuckoo), and three boys (one buff, one lavender but not too fine and a cuckoo), and the pullet had already 5 years!! I was a little scared because I thought that a chicken with that age, convined with our weather (it's not the best for silkes as it's very damp), was never going to produce any offspring.
Nevertheless, a month ago my lavender couple raised very succesfully a bunch of ten lavender and lavender cuckoo chicks, that I'm now taking care of.
My main goal It's achieve porcelain colour on silkies right now, because It's one of my favourites, but I also have some doubts that maybe some breeders from hear could solve (I hope 😶‍🌫️):
- I was thinking of breeding some of this pure lavender chicks with the buff male, probably next year, in orther to get some lavender ¿Is going to give me the colour in the first generation or maybe I have to spend more time to achieve it? What I was truly looking is a light porcelain (almost beige) rather than a darker one.
- The one cuckoo male that I have is the son of the lavender cuckoo female and the buff male, so I don't know what to do with him (maybe he's a carrier or something? He's not a pure cuckoo colour I mean). Some suggestions?
- I also thought I could bring some cuckoo porcelains as my hen is a lavender cuckoo, but the convination with buff gived me normal cuckoo so I don't know what I'm going to do with that, I supose experimenting!!

If I have time I will post some pictures of them, I find them really pretty!! I also hope some of here have some experience breeding porcelain or lavender silkies, and give me some advise. Thank you all :)

Here is the lavender cuckoo one (I call her Pitusa 🤣), as you can see, the cuckoo is very light but it's more visible around the neck and the long feathers in the wings.

Attachments

• pitusa.jpg
    pitusa.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 34
Here is the lavender cuckoo one (I call her Pitusa 🤣), as you can see, the cuckoo is very light but it's more visible around the neck and the long feathers in the wings.
Just wanted to say a belated welcome to BYC and that your lavender cuckoo hen is quite lovely. 😊
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer your genetics questions.

Back
Top Bottom