Porcelain Silkies/ post pics and ask questions!!

jen5680

Southside Silkie Shack
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
SW Ohio
Ok I would love to no what it takes to make the right color in porc and what the right color actaully should look like??
I was told you breed a lav and a buff and then breed the babies back to a lav parent.
But I was also told that you do this if you want to get the smut color out of the buffs.
I just got a beautiful lav cockerel from Bren at Nationals and some beautiful buff girls from katie and I would love to be able
to start on this little project.
Thanks!!

Thanks for starting this thread! I have a bunch of porcelains that shouwl be laying in the spring (hopefully
fl.gif
).

I agree that buff x lav = buff lav splits, and then to lav again= porcelain.

I bouht the porcleains as started birds so I am hoping that this was the breeding as I was told. I have also heard that porcelain to porcelain should breed true, which is what I am hoping for. The ones I bought sure do vary in color so I would love to hear everyones opinions on them.

Cockeral:
57966_005.jpg

Pullet:
57966_pihenhead.jpg

I also just hatched some chicks that should be porcelains or buffs split to lav last night from shipped eggs. I will get some pics of them tonight!

Jen, you are getting quite the Silkie empire going! Every time I turn around, you are aquiring some amazing stock, and I can't wait to see them in person! You'll have to show me around when I see you at a show! As far as porcelain goes, I don't think I know what I used to think I knew. You know I have that pretty isabel hen, but when she gave me a couple of fertile eggs, I got this:
31816_img_1602.jpg

Both parents carry the lav gene, but I'm not sure if this chick is light enough to be porcelain. Blue partridge would be my second guess, but that just sounds too weird to have come from a black rooster. He has thrown some off colors when bred to black, so maybe he's just an oddball. I'm a little frustrated with the unpredictability of my Serama matings, as I get all kinds of colors from straightforeward pairs, and I thought the Silkies would be my "happy place" for logical outcomes. Guess not...
roll.png

Quote:
Hey girl!! Long time no see!!
I have paid my dues and now I am finally getting my flock to what it should be. LOL!!
So you bred that one I loved that was at the show to a black/lav split? If that is what you did then I think that is why it
has the strange color bc of the roo having one copy of the black. I think you need to breed her with a pure lav!! No black!!!
This gentic stuff gets me soooo confused!! LOL!!! The more I read the more confused I think I get!
I need the silkie gentic guide for dummies book!!

Rilly, I love that girl!! She is pretty!!!!!

Quote:
That porcelain cockeral looks just like a porcelain to me! In fact I have one that looks dog on close to him!

Thanks! I love him! The pullet is much darker than him. I was almost thinking of pairing her with a lavender to see if that would lighten up the babies. And then putting him with her and see who she pairs up with better!

Ok I have another question, if you breed the porc together can't you get pure lav babies too ??

I believe if you have two porcelains that were bred by Lav X buff, then Buff split lav X lav, and you breed those off spring (porcelains) together you will have all Porcelains. If your porcelains are from any other type of mating I am not sure if they will breed true.

If you take one that was bred as stated above and mate it to a lav rather than another porcelain you should get all lavs but some may have buff bleeding through.

This is how I understand it but hopefully someone more experienced will come along!

According to the calculator, porc should breed true. But it also says that lav x porc will give all lav, and I got a porc from that cross. So I'd say, depending on what else is going on, it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom