portion control for ducks?

Swasse

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2016
I have one Rouen and two Swedish Blue ducks, about 6 weeks old. I give them a bowl (about 5 ounces) of starter feed, another bowl of lettuce in water, and a bowl of cooked oatmeal in water (also about 5 ounces) TWICE a day, plus a few handfuls of meal worms. They devour everything in minutes, and I always wonder if they are starving. Can anyone advise about how much food they should be eating?

I have always given mine as much as they want without issue. I received two ducks from a friend who limits their feed (he has 100s of different types of poultry) a few months ago. It took weeks before those two ducks stop gorging themselves like they were starving. I think your ducks are growing and need a lot of food and limiting their food is causing the problem. Just my opinion.

When my ducks were young I made food available for them 24/7. Currently I can not because they are older and have health issues. My avian veterinarian recommends that I restrict food to reduce reproductive activity. Otherwise it would be all you can eat!
does more food make them lay more eggs? my khaki lays basically everyday and i would like her to be able to stop for awhile and have a break

does more food make them lay more eggs? my khaki lays basically everyday and i would like her to be able to stop for awhile and have a break
Along with other environmental changes we have influenced egg laying with diet. I would never suggest it without specific veterinary advice, though. I'll PM you tomorrow so we don't hijack this thread.

Back
Top Bottom