Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Xtina, Jan 3, 2009.

1. lucyq22

lucyq22 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I realize I'm about 6 months late in participating in this thread, but thought I would chime in with my 2 cents....

It is correct (see above) that you can have 3 hens without a permit. It's also correct that with a permit you can have more hens, but still no rooster.

Hubby and I had 3 hens up until this spring, when we expanded our brood. So, we never needed a permit until now. However, I don't think we will apply for a permit, and here's why:
    - We are happy to pay the $31 (it's just like getting a dog license).
    - We are happy to have our coop inspected, because we think it's rather cute.

HOWEVER....
    - I'm don't know that our coop meets building code, which is a requirement. It's a very well constructed structure, but with the hubby being an amateur builder, and me being too lazy to look up the code... well, we'd rather chance having renegade hens than have to rebuild our coop. For example, our coop has no floor, because we use our chicks to compost directly on the dirt - but I think the code requires a floor or that the structure be buried at least 1' in the soil.
    - We're 25' back from all houses, but our coop is only 1' from the property line. Our neighbors know about the coop and our location was chosen based on their knowledge. The neighbor who's property it's a foot from has her compost pile opposite our coop on the fence line, so it's perfect for both of us - but it doesn't meet the setback regulations.

So while I'm happy to pay for a permit, I won't apply because the city's regulations and what I've negotiated with my neighbors to work for all of us are not in sync.

Hope this helps!

2. lucyq22

lucyq22 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    BTW... does anyone know of anyone who has been cited for having more than 3 hens without a permit? I've never heard of anyone having this problem....

3. dingodog

dingodog Hatching

Jul 13, 2009
    b

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. jen8297

jen8297 In the Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Quote:I live in Portland, the new setback regulation is 15' from neighbors house, not property line.

Hope that helps.

5. linzibug

linzibug Hatching

Sep 2, 2008
    We recently got a permit so that we could get a third and fourth chicken. Our coop and house are very simple. The house is a little trailor type thing that I'm sure wouldn't pass any building codes. It has a wire bottom so it automatically composts, except for the area where the laying box is which has a solid bottom. The coop is right against our property line on both sides. The only feedback the inspector gave us was to add additional wood shavings throughout the coop and to limit the amount of food the chickens have on hand. It was a super easy, fast process, and now we can legally have up to 8 ladies. I say, it doesn't hurt to try, the inspector seemed like a very cool guy who wants to make the process easy for everybody, and safe for the chickens.

6. chiara

chiara Hatching

Aug 30, 2008
    so what if you already have more than 3 birds? If you apply for a permit do you have to hide the extra birds when the inspector comes over? or is it ok to have them already and then apply?

7. nikkimay

nikkimay In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    My understanding is that it is ok to have them already and then apply.

8. vendetta

vendetta Hatching

Oct 2, 2009
    we us2 have around 10-14 chickens then someone called the city on us.
    so we had to get rid of some chickens then the exception guy was being a jerk and
    said 3chickens only. you can have more then three chickens but you need a permit.

o we had 4 turkeys as well. i miss the turkeys

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Songster

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Not without the permit. It's three combined total of those types of animals.

10. evanbos

evanbos Hatching

Nov 18, 2012
    SE Portland, OR
    Does anyone know how long the permit process takes? I have two older hens out back and two little ones growing inside where it's warm. I mailed in the application for a permit last week to begin the process. Does it take a week? A month? Longer? What has other people's experiences been?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by