Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Xtina, Jan 3, 2009.

1. fiddlechicken

fiddlechicken Chirping

Mar 12, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Hello, Fellow Portlanders!

We got our chicks at Naomi's- love that store, everyone is so helpful and friendly. Since we got heritage breeds, (and on the advice of a friend) we got 4 chicks instead of 3 as "rooster insurance", and man, am I glad we did. Our Buff Orpington is definitely a roo! (And at 10.5 weeks, hasn't crowed yet, but I am sure that's not too far away!)

AmyWho, thanks for posting the link- I look forward to checking it out!

Saerax, Do your chicks like Pink Floyd? They look like they're at a laser show! (Yuk, yuk, sorry- I loved that pic, just made me cluckle!) They are super cute!

aggiemae, a "meet and greet" sounds like great fun- hurray for fellow chicken nerds! And Hurray for summer in Oregon- it's been a lovely one so far.

Happy Chickening!

2. backthatelfup

backthatelfup In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I love Naomi's so much <3 So glad you're enjoying your chicks/pullets :D

3. fiddlechicken

fiddlechicken Chirping

Mar 12, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Holy moley! Those gals are gonna lay ANY. SECOND. I might die from the anticipation.

4. lynnehd

lynnehd Songster

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Hello,
    I live nearby in Vancouver, Wa., and have a question relative to our geographic area.

I am planning to get some chicks from one of our local feed stores.
    They do not get chicks that are vaccinated for Marek's.

Is there a reason in this area why that would be? Is it not as much of a risk around here?

Thank you.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never seen Mareks in my chickens and don't vaccinate.

There are never any guarantees in life but I don't bother with vaccinations. I have bought chicks from...edited to remove names to preserve my location anonymity. ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. lynnehd

lynnehd Songster

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Thanks, I'm not going to worry, then.

7. ChickenDaddy523

ChickenDaddy523 In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Portland, OR
    [​IMG]Hello fellow Portlanders! I'm very happy with my flock and I'm just learning chickens. Someone posted that you need to have your coop 15' from a house for permitting 4 or more birds. Can anyone verify this? I have my coop and pin on a concrete foundation and the birds are fenced in. I also have made my area rodent and predator proof by double gating the chicken area and wire meshing the pin. Finally, I have a rodent service set and care for traps. No rodents so far. My neighbors are aware and very supportive. Does anyone think this would be an issue?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. cwolfe29

cwolfe29 Hatching

Jun 19, 2015
    Do I need a permit for my animals?
    • You do not need a permit if you keep a total of three or fewer chickens, ducks, doves, pigeons, pygmy goats or rabbits. You can mix and match however you like, as long as you do not exceed the total of three critters.
    • If three is just not enough, and you want more animals, it's time to apply for a permit (see next section on how to apply for a permit).

Taken from: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/362065

9. sktlmt

sktlmt Chirping

Dec 27, 2013
    Hi Portland area chicken lovers
    I have a lovely rooster named Rusty who is 10 months old. He is a mutt but appears to have Rhode Island Red and Black Austerloupe. He can be difficult to catch but once in your arms he is very docile. He is use to free range living and being the only rooster with 9 girls we had 10 but one passed last night. I would like to find him a new home locally so my daughter could potentially visit him in the future, She is upset that he needs to be rehomed. I use to have 2 roosters and they were both enamored with my Barred Rock Rocky and thru aggressive mating pulled all her back feathers out. I took the more aggressive one to the farm store. And everything was great until a week ago. Rusty all of a sudden took to Rocky and begun mating her excessively she is starting to be afraid to come out of the coup. He has been great with all the other hens. My older girls tho are of over it.
    I will take a picture soon and post it here.

10. firefighter12

firefighter12 In the Brooder

Nov 6, 2015
    Does anyone know anyone in or near Oregon that will ship chicks or hatching eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by