Porus Eggs....Should I Throw a Fit?

AdrienMarie

Hatching
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Laurelville, Ohio
I ordered some Bantam eggs from a guy off of eBay (who did have pretty good feedback), and recieved them today. I candled them, and these are some of the most porus eggs I have ever seen! Should I even waste my time setting them in the incubator? Should I write him and try for my money back? These are the first eggs I've bought, and mine look nice and solid when I candle them, so I know nothing about porus looking eggs. Any help?? Thanks!!

I hatched a few last time, one or two I thought would never do and were so bad to candle that I wasn't even sure they were ok at lockdown!! I'd put them in, and if they don't smell at day 18 candling, leave them in and wait and see!

Personally, unless your egg looks like a sandblaster hit it repeatedly and you can semi-see through the holes into the egg without a candler, they are fine (for me at least) to put into the incubator. I never toss out an egg that has cosmetic damage (unless the membrane is broken).

I put a thin layer of elmers glue over part of the egg (still needs to be able to breath so not all of the egg).
this is something I have ready about, just tried it for this last hatch.

I put 'em in, and give them a shot then! I had read on one of the university websites that a porus egg was probably a defeciency in what the chickens were eating, and that most don't hatch. Since others have had good luck, I'll try it out.

I have never had a reduced success on porous eggs.
smile.png

If I set a batch that have both porous and nonporous egg I just keep a closer eye on the porous eggs to make sure they don't dry down to fast.
I think your eggs are going to do fine.
smile.png

Carolyn

Quote:
I discussed this at length with Peter Brown last year. It can be nutritional or just genetic.

I ended up giving my birds a special vitamin concoction I purchased from Peter and it did nothing for the porous eggs my wheatens and blue wheatens were laying.

In my readings about this, I have found it is often linked to birds that are very good layers. It seems the egg travels through the oviduct faster and doesn't get as much calcium laid down.

I really have had no problems hatching mine and do nothing different when I set my eggs.

However, since these are not your birds you just may want to keep an eye on them as it could be nutritional. Not everyone supplements their breeder flock to maintain their health and to hatch healthy chicks.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom