Possible abscess on pullet's neck

That is a decision only you can make.

Personally? I probably would give it a try just to see if I could aspirate anything from it.

@Gizabelle, thank you for the kind words. :hugs Yes it is still painful even after all these years but my wish is to help people so they know that they aren't alone when it comes to dealing with Marek's Disease. Plus I want people to know that in spite of having a diagnosis of MD in your flock, doesn't mean that your days keeping chickens isn't over. All you can do is dig your heels in and refuse to give up.

It does look a bit like a feather cyst, but I would go by what others said about seeing if it moves or if it is hard and anchored. If it is soft, it may be a cyst. If you choose to lance it and squeeze, you could probe it for an ingrown feather, or for any pus or waxy substance. Blood probably would indicate tumor. Sorry that you have Mareks going on.

I think I may be reporting sad news, but we'll see what you all think.
It is quite firm, roughly oblong shaped (about the size of my thumb from the last joint.) It is slightly movable from side to side, but does feel solidly rooted. I was able to pull nothing whatsoever off with and 18 gauge needle. There were no major pain reactions
during any of this.
Edit: There was a little blood at the puncture site. Cleaned before and after with betadine.

Last edited:
:(

You have to remember though that pus in chickens can be and usually is a hard and caked substance. If you have ever done a bumble foot you know what I'm talking about here. I've done a few where there is a small degree of liquid pus but for the most part it's all pretty solid stuff.

It all depends on how comfortable you are at this stage with lancing the area with an incision large enough to tell what is underneath the skin.

A few questions though. I've been lucky enough to have never had to treat bumble foot... Does chicken pus smell like pus? I assume the cheese like consistency will mean that I can pull out pieces and know for sure that's what I'm looking at. A tumor will look more like compact tissue, correct? I've watched a few videos so far, and many have popped out a pus ball that looks an awful lot like a tumor to the inexperienced.
I just don't want to put her through more pain than necessary trying to identify whats going on.
I've found a tumor disection thread, and can clearly see the difference (post mortem) but not confident about identifying that through a tiny incision on a live bird.

The hen that I did a necropsy on who died from a reproductive tumor had a solid mass of pus in her that was easily 1X2 inches in size. The smell was unmistakable as was the fluid in her body cavity. I don't think I have ever smelled 'bumble foot' material smell as bad as this infected material did in my hen.

That's the best I can offer. Hopefully you will get some replies from folks with more experience in such matters than I have.

Back
Top Bottom