Possible angel wing in Pekin duck

Tor7039

Chirping
May 18, 2020
I’m back again with another worry! Haha. One of my Pekin ducklings I noticed has something a little odd going on with the wing. They’re about 5 weeks old give or take so maybe they’re just in an awkward stage or could be I’m just looking too far into it like I normally do but I’ll post some pictures to see if anyone else notices anything off. Just seems like the feathers are growing out and not laying flat against him. They are currently eating Purina flock raiser crumbles. They’re also moving outside into their new pen this week. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 363CE5B2-F7B1-45EB-8002-DD37EA24C41D.jpeg
    363CE5B2-F7B1-45EB-8002-DD37EA24C41D.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 2177A088-AF9D-4958-A014-6C73278B7820.jpeg
    2177A088-AF9D-4958-A014-6C73278B7820.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 3C974C50-E25B-41B5-AB40-1A5BC4D3C839.jpeg
    3C974C50-E25B-41B5-AB40-1A5BC4D3C839.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 649F4BDF-9EAB-40B5-8974-804BCDB69B9E.jpeg
    649F4BDF-9EAB-40B5-8974-804BCDB69B9E.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 54
  • F6BB83A9-FCD6-448D-9628-C7529A5BAF23.jpeg
    F6BB83A9-FCD6-448D-9628-C7529A5BAF23.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 70
Another pic because I thought it showed the wing a little clearer.

Attachments

• 08109DA3-A15C-487E-BF41-5384D80CA580.jpeg
    08109DA3-A15C-487E-BF41-5384D80CA580.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 66
From the pictures, it does appear the duck is starting to get angel wing, are you aware of how to go about treating this, if not I'd be glad to help.
Well I’m glad I caught it early! It seems as if this just started happening in the last few days. I read a few things but am a little confused on how to go about treating angel wing, so I’ll take any of your help I can get!

Of course this is my duckling who really does NOT like being held...so I’m worried about that because I know he needs to be held to wrap it i think? My other 3 will plop right down in my lap. My others seem fine but I’m wondering if I should start adding rolled oats into the feed as it’s 20% protein..

Well I’m glad I caught it early! It seems as if this just started happening in the last few days. I read a few things but am a little confused on how to go about treating angel wing, so I’ll take any of your help I can get!

Of course this is my duckling who really does NOT like being held...so I’m worried about that because I know he needs to be held to wrap it i think? My other 3 will plop right down in my lap. My others seem fine but I’m wondering if I should start adding rolled oats into the feed as it’s 20% protein..

Yeah, it's best to bandage it before the feathers mature and become more set in place. It can be a real challenge bandaging angel wing with feisty ducklings, a lot of people try to do it themself, and while a lot do a great job, a lot of people do a half-ass job and the ducklings end up breaking free, or its put on incorrectly, so in the long run, if you have a helper definitely have them help.

There are two common ways to bandage, when both wings are affected you could try something like this,

1591568822193.png

When one wing is affected you can do this,

1591568799781.png

Vet wrap does the job best, make sure to buy a few roles because it'll need to be taken off weekly so the duckling can stretch and exercise its wings. After a few weeks, a bandage should not be needed anymore unless the feathers are still sticking out some.

There is quite a bit of debate of what causes angel wing, some say genetic, some say too high protein. I'll tell you my experience, I have raised at least 50+ ducks over the years, I've fed everybody the exact same feed, and just of this year I had one call duck come down with, I'm sure with my case its genetics.

Really if I were you I'd continue to feed the rasier, its such a great brand for ducklings/ducks.

Yeah, it's best to bandage it before the feathers mature and become more set in place. It can be a real challenge bandaging angel wing with feisty ducklings, a lot of people try to do it themself, and while a lot do a great job, a lot of people do a half-ass job and the ducklings end up breaking free, or its put on incorrectly, so in the long run, if you have a helper definitely have them help.

There are two common ways to bandage, when both wings are affected you could try something like this,

View attachment 2182251

When one wing is affected you can do this,

View attachment 2182247

Vet wrap does the job best, make sure to buy a few roles because it'll need to be taken off weekly so the duckling can stretch and exercise its wings. After a few weeks, a bandage should not be needed anymore unless the feathers are still sticking out some.

There is quite a bit of debate of what causes angel wing, some say genetic, some say too high protein. I'll tell you my experience, I have raised at least 50+ ducks over the years, I've fed everybody the exact same feed, and just of this year I had one call duck come down with, I'm sure with my case its genetics.

Really if I were you I'd continue to feed the rasier, its such a great brand for ducklings/ducks.

thank you so much for the help! We attempted last night to wrap and it didn’t go over so well. He was really upset and after a little while I decided it was probably in everyone’s best interest to just stop for the night and I’d try again today. He just absolutely hates being held and goes pretty wild in your arms when he is! Of course haha.

@Isaac 0 I hate to be a bother again but I'm struggling with wrapping my duck. I totally get how to do it, he just absolutely manages to escape it. I even put strong tape on top (not on his feathers) to hold it in place and he still got out. It's been 4 times now! He really doesn't like to be held and even with a second hand to help, he loses his mind. I want to fix this angel wing but I feel bad I'm stressing him out so much. Not that I want any of my ducks to have it, but I do believe it was another one of them I would be able to get the wrap on. Henry just hates it :(. Are there any health complications or anything like that if I'm not able to fix this for him? Like I said, I want to keep trying to get this wrap on but not if it's stressing him out so much, I feel terrible. Thanks in advance :)

@Isaac 0 I hate to be a bother again but I'm struggling with wrapping my duck. I totally get how to do it, he just absolutely manages to escape it. I even put strong tape on top (not on his feathers) to hold it in place and he still got out. It's been 4 times now! He really doesn't like to be held and even with a second hand to help, he loses his mind. I want to fix this angel wing but I feel bad I'm stressing him out so much. Not that I want any of my ducks to have it, but I do believe it was another one of them I would be able to get the wrap on. Henry just hates it :(. Are there any health complications or anything like that if I'm not able to fix this for him? Like I said, I want to keep trying to get this wrap on but not if it's stressing him out so much, I feel terrible. Thanks in advance :)

First off, bother me anytime! :D What kind of wrap are you doing, and what are you using, maybe you could post a picture of your wrap job? If the wrap is not working (which sometimes does happen) you can leave it be, the duck won't be able to fly, but that's the most that's going to affect it. Once the feathers have matured a bit, you can trim the feathers close to the skin, and you'll hardly notice it. It's important you wait to the feathers have stopped growing so you don't hit the blood when trimming. I had to that to a Call that I was unable to bandage, so I trimmed her.

Before and After.

Angel Wing1.jpg Angel Wing.jpg

First off, bother me anytime! :D What kind of wrap are you doing, and what are you using, maybe you could post a picture of your wrap job? If the wrap is not working (which sometimes does happen) you can leave it be, the duck won't be able to fly, but that's the most that's going to affect it. Once the feathers have matured a bit, you can trim the feathers close to the skin, and you'll hardly notice it. It's important you wait to the feathers have stopped growing so you don't hit the blood when trimming. I had to that to a Call that I was unable to bandage, so I trimmed her.

Before and After.

View attachment 2195388View attachment 2195390

Gotcha, thank you! We were using vet wrap but after several attempts and even a few days ago having my cousin who is a vet tech try to help, we decided it just was causing more issues. Henry is soooo finicky. My other ducks are pretty mellow but he is definitely not so I just don’t think it’s going to work. I wish it would so I could fix it but he gets extremely stressed out and pants for hours with the wrap on, grrr.

Thank you for the info about trimming! I think that will have to do.

Back
Top Bottom