possible broody button hen??

sleepycat

Chirping
Nov 18, 2022
i have 4 buttons in a large cage (presumably 2 roos and 2 hens), and ever since the hens started laying (around 3 days ago), one of the hens has been hiding away behind the feeder in a little area that is hidden by leaves. i never see her out, besides when i bring them veggies in the morning, and i noticed that there are two eggs in the area that she likes to hide. stupid question, but could she be broody? the answer is probably yes, but i'd like to be sure, especially since i've never had a broody button hen before.

It seems odd that she would be broody if she only started laying 3 days ago.
i agree, but i rarely ever see her off of the "nest"

also, one of the roos in the same cage has become aggressive, nipping me any time i try to go near her or the nest. i've never heard of a bite-y button, so im pretty lost.

A broody button will lay on the eggs like a lil fat pancake, if she's just hiding with them then she's probably just timid and hides from you (predator) She could also be hiding from one male who she doesn't wish to get frisky with and the other could be protecting her as her chosen. It sounds like teething issues while they pair up. But u may wanna try filming them when u can't watch? See what happens without ur interference... if her n the male pancake themselves over the eggs then yes she'sit broody, but if she's hiding there from the other male u should see evidence of it on film xx

Back
Top Bottom