Possible Bumblefoot

Slg140

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 4, 2017
I was inspecting my chickens today and noticed one of them has black scabs on both of her feet. I looked at the rest and about half my flock had the same thing. They’re acting completely normal and the skin wasn’t swollen or hot to the touch. It looks like Bumblefoot but I can’t possible operate on half of my flock if it is. What do I do??

I tried but I couldn’t get a clear shot by myself. It’s just a flat black scab about size of an eraser tip. If I pull it off some bleed and some have just normal skin beneath. The ones that bled I put antibiotic on and bandaged. I don’t see any pus or swelling.

Just a little update. After deciding that my roost was too high I lowered it and opted to do nothing about the bumbles. I’ve kept a close eye on the hens feet and most of the bumble are looking better if not gone. There are a couple who look the same but none look worse and still no swelling. I’ve soaked their feet in epsom salt twice just to take a look at things but other than that I’m leaving them alone and it seems to be going well!

Back
Top Bottom