Possible Coccidiosis, how long can he last till I get treatment?

Ok so this morning I checked on him and there was one poo with a small trace of blood and the rest of the other poos were normal. thoughts?

When my chicken encounter with coccidia I don't wait to get medicine in my hand for safe side...

I used sulmet.. In US there's Corid if there is clear blood in dropping i'll start the treatment.. Without wasting time because overgrowth coccidia harm the intestine and cause necrotic entertis.. I also feed chickens garlic water it prevent coccidia

The OP lives in Australia. How is he doing? Eating and drinking and alert? If he is acting lethargic, looking puffed up or hunched, and not drinking, I would try to get some amprollium if you can get it.
He shows no interest in water, the blood is becoming more apparent in his poos now. hes not puffed up but hes very stressed out. hes not lethargic. Its past 5pm and I cant make it to the vet, and I don't think I can buy any if they wont let me pay it off, is there anything I can do to boost his immune system? I'm all out of garlic and I cant drive into town.... I cant let this chicken die, hes my baby and I key part of my breeding plan :hit

He shows no interest in water, the blood is becoming more apparent in his poos now. hes not puffed up but hes very stressed out. hes not lethargic. Its past 5pm and I cant make it to the vet, and I don't think I can buy any if they wont let me pay it off, is there anything I can do to boost his immune system? I'm all out of garlic and I cant drive into town.... I cant let this chicken die, hes my baby and I key part of my breeding plan :hit

You should treat him. With corid or sulmet in water ..immediately if blood constantly appeared in poop ..

Not all chickens seems lethargy ..
Some chickens who are healthy and have weight enough face their illness very well ..and not all cocci makes chicken puffed up ..a chicken with cocci E-Tenella Or E-Maxima Don't seems to have Tell Tale Symptoms but blood in poo is clear thing for cocci ..

I would recommend u to don't waste time and stray treatment for cocci with corid or sulmet ..You can find these medication to TLC or any pet drug store ..

Do not give any vitamins during the treatment ..
Feed hard boiled egg and plenty of water
After 3-7 days treatment give plain yoghurt with live culture to restart the micro flora ..

Chickens are hardy birds show symptoms only when they are unable to hide their illness don't waste time

UPDATE: I've still yet to see him drink but I gave him some feed and he ate like he's never eaten before, we were able to set him up in a more spacy area in the bathtub, he's got a roost and he's a lot less stressed now that he has space to move and I haven't seen any more blood in his poop all day. tomorrow I'm going to try to get a lift into town and see if I can buy any amprolium, he is TNN and the breed is immune to most poultry diseases and hardy, so I'm hoping he is fighting it off. he's not lethargic and after a feather cleaning and a stretch, he is no longer puffed up.

I used sulmet.. In US there's Corid if there is clear blood in dropping i'll start the treatment.. Without wasting time because overgrowth coccidia harm the intestine and cause necrotic entertis.. I also feed chickens garlic water it prevent coccidia
Again... I ask, for your resource about garlic killing cocci. And if it's preventing it by adding in the water... then WHY the need to have used Sulmet? :idunno

I'm asking for evidence and not wive's tells. And I don't mean to sound rude at all. I am a seeker of ALL things truth. :)

Guess what I do to PREVENT coccidia... keep my brooder dry and water fresh. Yep, I had it on my pasture the first year I moved hear. But no outbreak since then and the time I realized my shaving looked dryer on top then they were underneath. I know we all have different environmental circumstances so please know I'm NOT claiming to do anything better than you.

Just curious though... yes there is SOME benefit from garlic but is it the "cure all" that's being touted by many??? :pop

Also, if garlic does kill coccidia, seems as though garlic powder from the cupboard might be just as effective if fresh isn't on hand. This past year has been a wake up call to just how pricey spices can be. And they are so vital to our daily cooking life! I can see why spices were used as trade currency back in the day. Take any one away and a dish is completely changed!

UPDATE: I've still yet to see him drink but I gave him some feed and he ate like he's never eaten before, we were able to set him up in a more spacy area in the bathtub, he's got a roost and he's a lot less stressed now that he has space to move and I haven't seen any more blood in his poop all day. tomorrow I'm going to try to get a lift into town and see if I can buy any amprolium, he is TNN and the breed is immune to most poultry diseases and hardy, so I'm hoping he is fighting it off. he's not lethargic and after a feather cleaning and a stretch, he is no longer puffed up.
The amprolium or Corid here in the states goes for about 10-12 US $.

It's true that NN are pretty hardy as a BREED... but can vary greatly by individual and is influenced heavily by nutrition. Even the hardiest with poor nutrition will get weak. Even the weakest with good nutrition can be strong.

If indeed he does have cocci (which is a possibility and did look puffed up back there)... that is in my experience one of the LEAST deadly of all the chicken issues I've seen so far. So I always expect a strong recovery. Here to! :fl

SO with the droppings you saw a slight blood in... was it formed or liquid poo? It would be weird for a bird to actively eat a bunch but not drink, so I'm thinking maybe it just wasn't in your sight. Drinking (hydration) is more important. A bird can live a few days without feed, but not very long without water. Their body will burn it's own calories and reserves. But the body cannot make it's own fluid and dehydration leads to lower blood volume and more rapid onset of system failures. Eating is a good sign to me. It's odd that you have to have enough energy to eat. But I've been ill before and somehow always felt a little better once food was ingested and providing energy again.

Not saying @Saaniya is wrong, lot's of good info there! Just requesting more info on certain inputs. :hugs

TNN and the breed is immune to most poultry diseases
Actually think this is misinformation. :oops:

Being hardy or resistant is NOT nearly the same thing as immune. And if I had to guess Turken can get anything any other chicken can... including but not limited to cocci, Marek's, IB, MC, MG, fowl pox, internal parasites, external parasites, EYP... on and on.

We do choose breeds we think are hardy. But if you EVER start thinking it CAN'T happen to me... better thing AGAIN! :( So keep your mind open to all possibilities whenever you are trying to diagnose stuff in the future. Don't rule something out because you heard the somehow Turken have a magical power to not face the same issues EVERY other chicken does.

Immune means... does not apply to them. That is total hogwash. Things can be bred for resistance NOT immunity. Anyways, this is meant as helpful! Sorry if it comes out arrogant or rude, that is NOT my intention at all. :)

Again... I ask, for your resource about garlic killing cocci. And if it's preventing it by adding in the water... then WHY the need to have used Sulmet? :idunno

I'm asking for evidence and not wive's tells. And I don't mean to sound rude at all. I am a seeker of ALL things truth. :)

Guess what I do to PREVENT coccidia... keep my brooder dry and water fresh. Yep, I had it on my pasture the first year I moved hear. But no outbreak since then and the time I realized my shaving looked dryer on top then they were underneath. I know we all have different environmental circumstances so please know I'm NOT claiming to do anything better than you.

Just curious though... yes there is SOME benefit from garlic but is it the "cure all" that's being touted by many??? :pop

Also, if garlic does kill coccidia, seems as though garlic powder from the cupboard might be just as effective if fresh isn't on hand. This past year has been a wake up call to just how pricey spices can be. And they are so vital to our daily cooking life! I can see why spices were used as trade currency back in the day. Take any one away and a dish is completely changed!

The amprolium or Corid here in the states goes for about 10-12 US $.

It's true that NN are pretty hardy as a BREED... but can vary greatly by individual and is influenced heavily by nutrition. Even the hardiest with poor nutrition will get weak. Even the weakest with good nutrition can be strong.

If indeed he does have cocci (which is a possibility and did look puffed up back there)... that is in my experience one of the LEAST deadly of all the chicken issues I've seen so far. So I always expect a strong recovery. Here to! :fl

SO with the droppings you saw a slight blood in... was it formed or liquid poo? It would be weird for a bird to actively eat a bunch but not drink, so I'm thinking maybe it just wasn't in your sight. Drinking (hydration) is more important. A bird can live a few days without feed, but not very long without water. Their body will burn it's own calories and reserves. But the body cannot make it's own fluid and dehydration leads to lower blood volume and more rapid onset of system failures. Eating is a good sign to me. It's odd that you have to have enough energy to eat. But I've been ill before and somehow always felt a little better once food was ingested and providing energy again.

Not saying @Saaniya is wrong, lot's of good info there! Just requesting more info on certain inputs. :hugs
I'm a lil' skeptical about the garlic thing, its basically a super food but I don't think its that strong... his poo was mostly liquid at first, I mixed some water with Organic apple cider vinegar and gave it to him orally, since then %99 of his poos have been solid and contain little to no blood. also a portion of the food I gave him was medicated chick feed since hes not yet 6mnths of age his immune system isn't that strong and he wasn't raised on the med feed, since for some reason the broody hens will never call them to it or let them have it?? Hopefully I can get some treatment today and if I do I'm going to treat everyone to be safe.

I'm aware of the dry brooder thing, since the storm I've had to put a bunch of chicks in a small brooder and the litter gets dirty quick, I'm all out of wood shavings now so I just have to pick out the bad bits.. I also have a dripper with a small bowl under it to catch the water that may drip elsewhere. I do occasionally check the bedding on the bottom to ensure theres no damp litter under there.

Actually think this is misinformation. :oops:

Being hardy or resistant is NOT nearly the same thing as immune. And if I had to guess Turken can get anything any other chicken can... including but not limited to cocci, Marek's, IB, MC, MG, fowl pox, internal parasites, external parasites, EYP... on and on.

We do choose breeds we think are hardy. But if you EVER start thinking it CAN'T happen to me... better thing AGAIN! :( So keep your mind open to all possibilities whenever you are trying to diagnose stuff in the future. Don't rule something out because you heard the somehow Turken have a magical power to not face the same issues EVERY other chicken does.

Immune means... does not apply to them. That is total hogwash. Things can be bred for resistance NOT immunity. Anyways, this is meant as helpful! Sorry if it comes out arrogant or rude, that is NOT my intention at all. :)
I know that, I used the word 'immune' lightly I just meant they are particularly hardy to most diseases and have very good immune systems ;) hey come to think of it... a year or two ago before I really got into chickens I think I remember there being blood in some of my hens poos, most of which past of 'unknown' diseases... its now just occuring to me that the ones with the bloody stools had cocci! that place was pretty diseased, and it didn't help that we were basically doing everything wrong... :barnie

Back
Top Bottom