Possible Coccidiosis, how long can he last till I get treatment?

also a portion of the food I gave him was medicated chick feed
Is that feed medicated with the Amprol/amprolium?

Giving that to him might be enough without adding the corid type dose (I mean for the near future days too). Though it's still possible to have to treat for cocci even for people who do use medicated. It might be a good option since it's difficult to get into town and such. A broody will not usually allow another chick to come eat with her and babes. And definitely WON'T call him to it. They can be hags protecting their babies resources. Of course all are individuals, and I know I can see anything new or unusual at any time. :love

It's good to be able to look back at previous things and go... Ahh, now I get it... :pop

I am glad you are seeing some improvement. Doing the little things that add up to him being less stressed can be a good enough boost for him to continue fighting it off as he has been prior to now. Sometimes supporting our birds OWN immunity is ALL the help they need! Other times that simply won't do. But definitely helping boost their fighting chance until we can get to the remedy is great.

I keep meeting peeps from all over the world! :ya One of these days I might even know the different kinds of things available to them in their area and actually be a little bit more helpful. Lots of you Aussie's here. :cool:

Is that feed medicated with the Amprol/amprolium?

Giving that to him might be enough without adding the corid type dose (I mean for the near future days too). Though it's still possible to have to treat for cocci even for people who do use medicated. It might be a good option since it's difficult to get into town and such. A broody will not usually allow another chick to come eat with her and babes. And definitely WON'T call him to it. They can be hags protecting their babies resources. Of course all are individuals, and I know I can see anything new or unusual at any time. :love

It's good to be able to look back at previous things and go... Ahh, now I get it... :pop

I am glad you are seeing some improvement. Doing the little things that add up to him being less stressed can be a good enough boost for him to continue fighting it off as he has been prior to now. Sometimes supporting our birds OWN immunity is ALL the help they need! Other times that simply won't do. But definitely helping boost their fighting chance until we can get to the remedy is great.

I keep meeting peeps from all over the world! :ya One of these days I might even know the different kinds of things available to them in their area and actually be a little bit more helpful. Lots of you Aussie's here. :cool:
The feed simply says medicated, but the feed store said its probably medicated against mareks and cocci, so I just have to trust that.
and Yeah, more aussies are going online since were FINALLY getting nbn rolled out to rural areas, its nice to see a balance of nationalities instead of %80 American :lol:

The feed simply says medicated, but the feed store said its probably medicated against mareks and cocci, so I just have to trust that.
and Yeah, more aussies are going online since were FINALLY getting nbn rolled out to rural areas, its nice to see a balance of nationalities instead of %80 American :lol:
Feed stores pedal BS all the time! :mad: :smack

Marek's can ONLY be vaccinated for by injection shortly after hatch, so I will HAVE to DIS trust them. :oops: ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a second opinion on what they tell you... from someone who DIDN'T get their info from them. ;) Even get second opinions than the ones you get here. People are loaded with misinformation that they are happy to share. :hmm I learn something new ALL the time, so I've spread my share (I'm sure)! This isn't one of those times though. :p Of course your store did say probably, so they're covered for this one. :D

Does the feed bag have an ingredients list or an active ingredients list? My BEST guess is that it is for cocci. That is the most common. Ours is usually a paper tag sewn into the seem at the bottom of the bag here. I think I *might* have seen one other type of medicated feed in a European country that was an antibiotic type in a long past thread.

I am fortunate enough to be fairly rural now and still get internet. But it truly is amazing to see technology bringing us together and putting our collective knowledge together to work FOR us in so many ways. :thumbsup

Hope you and your boy and the rest of your loved ones continue on their recovery from that storm. Turken are a fun breed. :)

Feed stores pedal BS all the time! :mad: :smack

Marek's can ONLY be vaccinated for by injection shortly after hatch, so I will HAVE to DIS trust them. :oops: ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a second opinion on what they tell you... from someone who DIDN'T get their info from them. ;) Even get second opinions than the ones you get here. People are loaded with misinformation that they are happy to share. :hmm I learn something new ALL the time, so I've spread my share (I'm sure)! This isn't one of those times though. :p Of course your store did say probably, so they're covered for this one. :D

Does the feed bag have an ingredients list or an active ingredients list? My BEST guess is that it is for cocci. That is the most common. Ours is usually a paper tag sewn into the seem at the bottom of the bag here. I think I *might* have seen one other type of medicated feed in a European country that was an antibiotic type in a long past thread.

I am fortunate enough to be fairly rural now and still get internet. But it truly is amazing to see technology bringing us together and putting our collective knowledge together to work FOR us in so many ways. :thumbsup

Hope you and your boy and the rest of your loved ones continue on their recovery from that storm. Turken are a fun breed. :)
I've read the feed bag and cant for the life of me remember what it said! I know I still have the bag but its in the colapsed shed and I don't really want to go in there :oops:
I've called the vet and they don't have any cocci treatment, but they can get it ordered in. hes looking better today and his poops are more normal with far less blood if any.

Again... I ask, for your resource about garlic killing cocci. And if it's preventing it by adding in the water... then WHY the need to have used Sulmet? :idunno

I'm asking for evidence and not wive's tells. And I don't mean to sound rude at all. I am a seeker of ALL things truth. :)

Guess what I do to PREVENT coccidia... keep my brooder dry and water fresh. Yep, I had it on my pasture the first year I moved hear. But no outbreak since then and the time I realized my shaving looked dryer on top then they were underneath. I know we all have different environmental circumstances so please know I'm NOT claiming to do anything better than you.

Just curious though... yes there is SOME benefit from garlic but is it the "cure all" that's being touted by many??? :pop

Also, if garlic does kill coccidia, seems as though garlic powder from the cupboard might be just as effective if fresh isn't on hand. This past year has been a wake up call to just how pricey spices can be. And they are so vital to our daily cooking life! I can see why spices were used as trade currency back in the day. Take any one away and a dish is completely changed!

The amprolium or Corid here in the states goes for about 10-12 US $.

It's true that NN are pretty hardy as a BREED... but can vary greatly by individual and is influenced heavily by nutrition. Even the hardiest with poor nutrition will get weak. Even the weakest with good nutrition can be strong.

If indeed he does have cocci (which is a possibility and did look puffed up back there)... that is in my experience one of the LEAST deadly of all the chicken issues I've seen so far. So I always expect a strong recovery. Here to! :fl

SO with the droppings you saw a slight blood in... was it formed or liquid poo? It would be weird for a bird to actively eat a bunch but not drink, so I'm thinking maybe it just wasn't in your sight. Drinking (hydration) is more important. A bird can live a few days without feed, but not very long without water. Their body will burn it's own calories and reserves. But the body cannot make it's own fluid and dehydration leads to lower blood volume and more rapid onset of system failures. Eating is a good sign to me. It's odd that you have to have enough energy to eat. But I've been ill before and somehow always felt a little better once food was ingested and providing energy again.

Not saying @Saaniya is wrong, lot's of good info there! Just requesting more info on certain inputs. :hugs

Oh yeah...u doesn't sound rude at all heheh ..I have read on so many sites that garlic is high in sulfur that kill cocci also when freshly crushed it realse antibiotic called acllin i know cocci happens in wet humid condition but when my chicken got it I was shocked as they are pet live in my home with very clean dry atmosphere still they got my vet told me that somehow all chickens carried cocci in their intestine and poop eggs in poo ..

However garlic prevent many things I read like internal worms , lices and control poop odor ..

Garlic is good to maintain a good immune system of chicken I fed daily 1 clove also garlic control respiratory distress clear cold too and I experience this

I'm a lil' skeptical about the garlic thing, its basically a super food but I don't think its that strong... his poo was mostly liquid at first, I mixed some water with Organic apple cider vinegar and gave it to him orally, since then %99 of his poos have been solid and contain little to no blood. also a portion of the food I gave him was medicated chick feed since hes not yet 6mnths of age his immune system isn't that strong and he wasn't raised on the med feed, since for some reason the broody hens will never call them to it or let them have it?? Hopefully I can get some treatment today and if I do I'm going to treat everyone to be safe.

I'm aware of the dry brooder thing, since the storm I've had to put a bunch of chicks in a small brooder and the litter gets dirty quick, I'm all out of wood shavings now so I just have to pick out the bad bits.. I also have a dripper with a small bowl under it to catch the water that may drip elsewhere. I do occasionally check the bedding on the bottom to ensure theres no damp litter under there.

Garlic is not that strong but works better in some cases ..as I tried it I told u

However garlic prevent many things I read like internal worms , lices and control poop odor ..
Total BS about controlling intestinal worms or lice. I would even PAY the cost for someone who would test before and after treating with garlic to see their worm load count. No matter how many times I've read that pumpkin seeds or DE kills it gets rid of intestinal worms, doesn't make it true.

My sister uses garlic cloves for her dogs to "keep fleas" off. Her dogs ALWAYS have fleas and mine do not. I know fleas is not the same as lice, but they are both blood sucking insects. but the THEORY is the same. Also my hubby being Korean consumes ungodly amounts of garlic in his kimchee and will get bitten first by anything that is going to. :confused:

Like you say, even if something is considered out of the norm... like cocci in a fairly dry environment, things DO happen all they time that aren't considered normal. I have seen other chicks and chickens sample either by drink or peck another chickens deification right as it happens. Yep every chicken and dropping contain cocci (I hadn't really thought about it being the eggs and not the protazoa, at least that's what I think they are but that one hasn't yet committed to memory if it's the right term or not.. If a straight dose of it won't expose ya a little extra, I don't know what would. :sick
garlic is high in sulfur that kill cocci also when freshly crushed it realse antibiotic called acllin
This is helpful... even without studies, having an understanding of HOW it's supposed to be working can help my brain to go through the process of whether I think that's truly effective or at least starting place to research. :highfive:

Garlic is good to maintain a good immune system of chicken I fed daily 1 clove also garlic control respiratory distress clear cold too and I experience this
I have seen that said before by nutrition type people. Was your personal experience with it for yourself or your chickens? Seems like a clove a day could get pricey if you have many chickens. Do you do a clove a day everyday for every bird regardless of ill or not? And if so... PLEASE do tell, does it flavor your eggs the way some claim it will?

I know I still have the bag but its in the colapsed shed and I don't really want to go in there
It might be dangerous, and certainly isn't worth risking your life for!

I probably (meaning what right for ME and sometimes I don't know how I will act in that situation for SURE) wouldn't have the vet order meds. I would be more likely to try and get the Corid from Amazon if I didn't have a feed or farm store nearby. If he doesn't seem to be getting worse... I would probably presume that his system is fighting it off better again, the way it has since hatch and just continue offering supportive care and maybe some more of that medicated feed. The feed store might be able to read the ingredients from another bag to you over the phone if it's important for you to find out. As well, the vet you talked to might be able to tell you what the "medicated" feed that is sold over the counter is typically formulated with or for.

Total BS about controlling intestinal worms or lice. I would even PAY the cost for someone who would test before and after treating with garlic to see their worm load count. No matter how many times I've read that pumpkin seeds or DE kills it gets rid of intestinal worms, doesn't make it true.

My sister uses garlic cloves for her dogs to "keep fleas" off. Her dogs ALWAYS have fleas and mine do not. I know fleas is not the same as lice, but they are both blood sucking insects. but the THEORY is the same. Also my hubby being Korean consumes ungodly amounts of garlic in his kimchee and will get bitten first by anything that is going to. :confused:

Like you say, even if something is considered out of the norm... like cocci in a fairly dry environment, things DO happen all they time that aren't considered normal. I have seen other chicks and chickens sample either by drink or peck another chickens deification right as it happens. Yep every chicken and dropping contain cocci (I hadn't really thought about it being the eggs and not the protazoa, at least that's what I think they are but that one hasn't yet committed to memory if it's the right term or not.. If a straight dose of it won't expose ya a little extra, I don't know what would. :sick

This is helpful... even without studies, having an understanding of HOW it's supposed to be working can help my brain to go through the process of whether I think that's truly effective or at least starting place to research. :highfive:

I have seen that said before by nutrition type people. Was your personal experience with it for yourself or your chickens? Seems like a clove a day could get pricey if you have many chickens. Do you do a clove a day everyday for every bird regardless of ill or not? And if so... PLEASE do tell, does it flavor your eggs the way some claim it will?

It might be dangerous, and certainly isn't worth risking your life for!

I probably (meaning what right for ME and sometimes I don't know how I will act in that situation for SURE) wouldn't have the vet order meds. I would be more likely to try and get the Corid from Amazon if I didn't have a feed or farm store nearby. If he doesn't seem to be getting worse... I would probably presume that his system is fighting it off better again, the way it has since hatch and just continue offering supportive care and maybe some more of that medicated feed. The feed store might be able to read the ingredients from another bag to you over the phone if it's important for you to find out. As well, the vet you talked to might be able to tell you what the "medicated" feed that is sold over the counter is typically formulated with or for.

I agree with you I read on many sites but like u for worms I also go with proper medication ..

As I pet chickens not free range..my chickens only have my home or my roof they have clean feed water and good nutrition ..

Although, garlic make my chickens poop odor a lil less then b4 ..
..my friends who fed garlic their hens lay eggs without garlic flavor but some does ..I don't have hens I have roosters only heheh

Although, garlic make my chickens poop odor a lil less then b4 ..
..my friends who fed garlic their hens lay eggs without garlic flavor but some does ..I don't have hens I have roosters only heheh
That's kind of funny, that you have roosters ONLY. :love

Fermenting my chicken feed DRASTICALLY changed the smell of the poo! :sick

So much so that I stuck with it for almost 2 years before deciding that despite the claims and my success with doing so, you don't get something for nothing and chicken feed is ALREADY formulated to meet their needs. Me messing with it indicates I think I know more than the experts... which I don't even if I don't always agree with them. So I quit doing it AND touting it. But the smell change was undeniably a huge factor especially for indoor brooder chicks.
Do your boys still get intestinal worm even though they don't access the outside?

Thank you for sharing!

I know it's a little off topic from cocci... :oops: But I do think it all ties together, so hope it isn't annoying anyone. :)

UPDATE: the car got pulled out of the shed with (amazingly) minimal damage and I was able to drive into town to get some cocci treatment, I treated him as such he still refuses water so I had to administer orally. I offered him water and he still refused, he was still really thirsty so I grabbed a container that happened to be the one he used as a chick, and he drank (though not much) from it when I offered (but he still wont get down to eat or drink himself so you have to offer it up), not sure why he drinks from a tiny chick drinker and not a bowl, could it be that its familiar and comforting in this huge stressful change? is it even possible for chickens to have a 'comfort' drinker?? since he hadn't drunk in days his poos were very dry, I've yet to see any more blood.

Back
Top Bottom