Possible Coccidiosis or Worms in Adult Hen? Mucous-y poop and squishy crop.

I would treat the rest of the flock for worms. The Fenbendazole is given orally, not in the water. So dose each bird at 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days.

There is no repeat when giving the Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row.

I'm so happy that she's feeling much better! Getting rid of those worms is great!

Even though you keep a tidy coop/run, chickens can still get worms. Earthworms can be a vector, but roundworms are common in poultry.
Wyorp Rock, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your help. I honestly thing she would have passed without your guidance. You are so appreciated. We will treat everyone for sure with Fenbenzadole. I didn't realize you didn't have to repeat it, so thank you for that. We have been using a syringe to give it a little bit at a time in their beaks. It's tedious but worth it!

One more question - since I thought Deens had a sour crop, and started treating it with Monistat, I should finish that out correct? Even though it seems better?

Seriously, thank you so much. Sweet Deens is itching to get back out to the coop and resume being her little alpha self!

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 5
I would treat the rest of the flock for worms. The Fenbendazole is given orally, not in the water. So dose each bird at 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days.

There is no repeat when giving the Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row.

I'm so happy that she's feeling much better! Getting rid of those worms is great!

Even though you keep a tidy coop/run, chickens can still get worms. Earthworms can be a vector, but roundworms are common in poultry.
I just wrote a long reply and now I can't find it and I'm afraid it didn't post! But Wyorp Rock, from the bottom of my heart - thank you so much. I honestly don't think Sweet Deens would have made it without your guidance. We will for sure treat the rest of the flock directly with Fenbenzadole. I know it it a bit tedious having to put it directly in their beaks but we will do it! I guess I thought that it was water soluble for some reason. I didn't know you didn't have to repeat it, so thank you for that.

We have dealt with tape worms before, which I know are uncommon in chickens, and I thought we were all good!

2 more questions for you if you don't mind:

-Sweet Deens did seem to show signs of sour crop, so I should finish out the 7 days of Monistat correct, even though her crop seems fine now? (I think I read that you should finish treatment regardless)

-I have 2 smaller "flocks" located across our backyard - they do not share any ground, feed, or water with the "big girls. One is a flock is one Silkie roo and 2 silkie hens, and the other is one silkie roo with an old Barnevelder gal and 3 2-month old Serama hens. They have never shown signs of worms but would you recommend treating them as well?

Thank you again, so much, from me, Sweet Deens, and the rest of the birds!

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 5
Aww! Such as wonderful sweet photo of you both:love I'm glad that she's feeling much better. You're welcome, but it's all you and your devotion to Sweet Deens:)

I would finish the yeast medication since it was started.

For me, I would de-worm all the birds. The worm issue may be exclusive to Sweet Deens, but you never know. Another way would be to gather a "collection" of mixed fresh droppings and have a fecal float to see if worms are a problem with the other flocks.

With some birds it can be a challenge to dose them, you may find this article helpful when administering medications. If they have wattles, it's easier! LOL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Aww! Such as wonderful sweet photo of you both:love I'm glad that she's feeling much better. You're welcome, but it's all you and your devotion to Sweet Deens:)

I would finish the yeast medication since it was started.

For me, I would de-worm all the birds. The worm issue may be exclusive to Sweet Deens, but you never know. Another way would be to gather a "collection" of mixed fresh droppings and have a fecal float to see if worms are a problem with the other flocks.

With some birds it can be a challenge to dose them, you may find this article helpful when administering medications. If they have wattles, it's easier! LOL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
You are so kind and thank you so much again. I am going to deworm everyone. I think we are going to try to get the Fenbenzadole paste to give to everyone else instead of trying to do the liquid. I think it might be easier to put that in their beaks, but maybe not - we will find out! Do you know how long they poop the worms out after treatment? Last night was Deen's third dose and yesterday seemed like the majority of the worms. I've only seen one today so far. We have her in a crate so her poop will fall out the bottom and she can't re-eat the worms. But I know she is itching to get back into the coop and yard with everyone. But I am worried that when we de-worm everyone, if they do have worms, that they will eat the ones that the others poop out! I'm not sure how to stop that. I guess you don't...

Poor girl! With her pooping worms for a couple of days, she had a pretty heavy infestation. Most of the times you don't see the worms at all.
Hopefully the others don't have as many.
Just wanted to give you one more quick update. Sweet Deens is doing fantastic - she is back out in the coop and has completed all her meds except I will finish the Monistat, although her crop is just fine. We definitely found worms in some of the others girls' poop after the first day of Fenbenzadole, but nowhere near as many as Deens had. (side note to anyone who is wondering, squirting the paste directly into the their beaks is way easier than the liquid - it took 2 of us but we got through 12 hens in about 15-20 min!) I often let Deens out of the coop/yard because she is so friendly and lets me pick her right up and she hangs out with me all over the backyard and garden, while most of the other girls don't, and I wonder if this is why she had it so bad, because she has more opportunities to eat worms and slugs and stuff. Who knows though. The rest of the girls have have 2 more days of treatment, and today we didn't find any worms in the poop. Everyone seems good! Thank you again so much. Hugs

Last edited:
Just wanted to give you one more quick update. Sweet Deens is doing fantastic - she is back out in the coop and has completed all her meds except I will finish the Monistat, although her crop is just fine. We definitely found worms in some of the others girls' poop after the first day of Fenbenzadole, but nowhere near as many as Deens had. (side note to anyone who is wondering, squirting the paste directly into the their beaks is way easier than the liquid - it took 2 of us but we got through 12 hens in about 15-20 min!) I often let Deens out of the coop/yard because she is so friendly and lets me pick her right up and she hangs out with me all over the backyard and garden, while most of the other girls don't, and I wonder if this is why she had it so bad, because she has more opportunities to eat worms and slugs and stuff. Who knows though. The rest of the girls have have 2 more days of treatment, and today we didn't find any worms in the poop. Everyone seems good! Thank you again so much. Hugs
This is a wonderful update!
I'm so very glad to hear she's doing well :)

Back
Top Bottom