Possible CRD?

Parkesy

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2019
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Hi all,
First time post after lurking on the forums for a while! I’m sorry in advance for what’s going to be a long winded post!
I was after some suggestions and help on a possible CRD infection in my new flock of chickens. I hope it’s not but the symptoms seem likely. I raised most of these chickens since about 4 weeks old and they are now approximately 18 weeks old. They are a mixture of Rhodebars (inc 1 cockerel), Australorps, a black copper Maran, Plymouth rocks, and a RIR/Australorp cockerel. I added these to a trio of older Hyline browns which are well past their prime but otherwise have been perfectly healthy. I did however lose one to water belly but she was 3 so I guessed that was pretty standard. Some light Sussex’s turned out to be roosters so the breeder made good on his word and replaced them with a random white hen, and a couple of utility australorps. About a week after the swap I also added 2 Wyandotte’s in to the flock from a different breeder to the others. One is 22 weeks and the other about 10 months. I know it was a lot of additions and swapping in a short period of time but I wanted them settled in together while still relatively young so when spring comes around in a few months (Southern Hemisphere) they should well and truly be ready to start laying!

Soon after the addition of the utility Australorps and around the same time I added the Wyandotte’s I noticed one UA would stretch its neck and open it’s mouth. I honestly thought about culling it then and there but thought maybe it’s gapeworm and treatable. Within a few days, a few of the birds would occasionally make a quiet but rattly cough and shake their heads. I still thought maybe gapeworm so dewormed them with piperzine solution which I knew didn’t kill gapeworm but it was a reminder that they were probably due for a worm anyway.
They still occasionally quietly coughed and shook their heads but otherwise seemed perfectly healthy and feeding and ranging around their yard fine.
Then a few days back I noticed our Rhodebar cockerel hadn’t come out of the coop so I went in and he was on the perch with his head tucked in to his chest, eyes were quite watery and he had them both closed and his feathers were wet from mucous that was leaking through the night. I took him out and popped him on the ground but he wanted to huddle down and he looked awful.
I removed him from the flock and set him up in an isolation crate and a heat lamp. One eye looked stuck together so I wiped it out with salty water and he had a lot of mucous around his nose and pussy discharge from his eyes. He would sit with both eyes closed, and just stretch his neck slightly and open his mouth to breath and his mouth also was quite sticky with discharge. I believed it to be a type of infection and all I had on me was some cephalexin tablets for my dog from a couple of years back. He looked on deaths door and with nothing to lose I added a tablet with some water in a nutribullet and syringed some down his throat.
I woke the next morning expecting him dead but he had made a really good recovery. He’s since back to feeding and drinking fine, and I’ve added some more antibiotics in his water, and let him out in a separate area to excercise each day.
I also have 2 young Rhodebar chicks about 6 weeks old in a separate cage I was planning on introducing to the flock shortly but now I know I’ll have to wait and assess the situation.

I’m now not sure what my next steps will be? The rest of the flock seem fine, just a few birds are doing the odd head shake and cough but besides that they seem happy. The RIR/Australorp cockerel is probably the one with most noticeable symptoms besides the Rhodebar who now seems fine except for the slight rattly cough that some of the others have.
Is it worth treating for gapeworm to be sure? And if so will that effect the birds health after a worming 2 weeks back?
If it’s MG the flock has I know most will say cull them all, but I have reservations. Firstly there’s no way of knowing for sure without a test and that’s not available down here from the calls I’ve made. And secondly any replacement birds could carry it too. I’ve heard and read that most backyard flocks are carriers anyway but they just don’t usually show symptoms except under stress or when it’s really cold (and it’s winter here, night time temps are around 2-3’ Celsius)? Plus where I live I’ll have no hope of replacing the rarer breeds like Rhodebars, Wyandotte’s and P rocks. They just don’t come by very easily in Melbourne.
So I’d love to hear from anyone who’s had similar sick birds and what they’ve done, or what they think mine could have? And also if you decided to leave the flock alone, how was egg production affected after the birds recovered, and how were any hatchings? Did you notice a drop in egg hatchings compared to before the birds got sick?
I’m planning on hatching chicks come springtime for friends and also to raise in a small tractor run for meat birds. If they have MG I know giving birds away isn’t ethical, but then If most birds are carriers anyway is it such a big deal? And if I decide to let things run their course, when would it be best to reintroduce the Rhodebar cockerel to the flock again? I feel bad he’s on his own.
Thanks for reading this far if you’re still here!
Thanks,
Nick

Hi nick. It does sound like you have a respiratory issue going on with your flock. The symptoms you describe from your rooster are definitely that of MG. Unfortunately it is true that your whole flock will probably be infected. MG can be introduced by migratory birds and introducing infected birds. It does seem to be prevalent amongst many backyard owners. It's not the end of the world though. Your chickens will suffer worst the first time they show symptoms. Subsequent times will not be so bad or they may not show symptoms at all. You should do OK if you keep a closed flock. But if you want to introduce birds be prepared for more sick birds. You can treat for MG quite rightly with antibiotics. Tylan 50 soluble seems to be the go to medication for this. Denagard is also very good for treating it. If you can get a good quality probiotics like biacton that will go some way to strengthen your birds immune system. It won't eradicate it but will help them cope alot better. You can try to reintroduce your cockeral by letting him next to your birds for a couple of days firstly and then just let him back in. He isn't a complete new bird so it shouldn't be to difficult for him to establish himself again. And not to forget :welcome

I'm sorry that you face this.
I agree, you are dealing with a respiratory disease. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, ILT and Infectious Coryza are some of the more common ones you see.
To find out which one you would have to have some testing. You may be able to contact your Dept. of Agriculture to find out how to get testing.

As for treatment, only treat birds that are symptomatic. Your vet should be able to give you some antibiotics for treatment of symptoms.
The symptoms you describe do not sound like Gapeworm to me, the stretching of the neck (pump handle breathing) to breath accompanied by discharge from the eyes and nose sounds more like ILT, but it's hard to know. Getting a fecal float for confirmation of worms is a good idea.

Thanks for the replies! I’m thinking I’ll just leave the rest of the flock alone for now. I would like to think that because they’ve had it for maybe 2 weeks now they’ll have started to build their own immune systems up against it. My Rhodebar cockerel is still a little off at the moment. One moment he looks fine, then next I’ll notice his nostrils are leaking discharge and he’s resting his left eye closed. It looks fine when he opens it but he’s preferring to close it when he can. His breathing seems fine at least. I haven’t given him anymore antibiotics and I read last night that cephalexin is a no no for poultry now. Apparently there can be super bacteria that will build a resistance to it and if humans contract it then antibiotics won’t help. Made for intersting reading! Thousands of human deaths have been blamed on its use in food producing animals. Mainly in chickens it was for preventative E. coli protection. I’ll ring the local vet and see if I can get the Tylosin. They don’t see birds but if they’re sympathetic to my situation they should hopefully prescribe it.
It’s a cold wet day in Melbourne and is going to be like this all week. Not ideal for him to be back outside but I think if he’s got company he might be happier, and I would guess he won’t harm any of the other birds as they would already have it. I could let him socialize during the day and crate him at night.

Hi. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. It’s my story too however.

My flock went thru a bunch of illnesses right in a row. It was a crazy month!

My hens and one cockerel had/has CRD/MG. Maybe the other versions - I don’t know as I didn’t get testing done. I rode it out with A LOT of support from awesome BYCers that patiently walked me thru it.

After seeing the symptoms you also see plus some lesions on the beak and in the mouth I treated the whole Flock as most (not all but a large percentage) showed some symptoms with Tylan 200, which was the tylan I could find the quickest.

I followed the high end dosage amount for the max number of days. While dramatic improvement was seen I still do have chickens that sneeze more than I expect they should. I do not see the neck stretching and gaping anymore that can’t be explained by a full crop.

Egg production has skyrocketed. I have 18/19 hens (I’ll explain that in a moment). I’ve been getting at least 12 eggs and more often 14-16 eggs. So hens that have gone thru CRD can recover and can be great layers.

Now the 18/19 thing. A hen did die unexpectedly last week. She was actually one of the ones that never showed symptoms. Go figure. Anyway we did a necropsy and she had all the signs of cystic oviduct disease - which could be (could be, not definitely) a result of the CRD. So there’s a decent chance that the CRD did in a way kill her.

The choice I’ve made is to keep my flock, treat symptoms are they come up (although I’m ignoring the occasional too much sneezing as I don’t feel it’s best to keep treating with tylan at this moment) and enjoy the very high number of eggs I get every day. I’ve accepted that a hen may suddenly die due to complications from having CRD. I am dedicated to giving them the best life I can given the circumstances and enjoying my time with them for as long as it lasts vs being constantly worried and dreading the next day.

And yes, this is all within the last several weeks! About a month total. Crazy!

So that’s what happened to me and my flock and what we are doing about it - lol! Hope this helps you decided what is best for you and your flock.

Hi. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. It’s my story too however.

My flock went thru a bunch of illnesses right in a row. It was a crazy month!

My hens and one cockerel had/has CRD/MG. Maybe the other versions - I don’t know as I didn’t get testing done. I rode it out with A LOT of support from awesome BYCers that patiently walked me thru it.

After seeing the symptoms you also see plus some lesions on the beak and in the mouth I treated the whole Flock as most (not all but a large percentage) showed some symptoms with Tylan 200, which was the tylan I could find the quickest.

I followed the high end dosage amount for the max number of days. While dramatic improvement was seen I still do have chickens that sneeze more than I expect they should. I do not see the neck stretching and gaping anymore that can’t be explained by a full crop.

Egg production has skyrocketed. I have 18/19 hens (I’ll explain that in a moment). I’ve been getting at least 12 eggs and more often 14-16 eggs. So hens that have gone thru CRD can recover and can be great layers.

Now the 18/19 thing. A hen did die unexpectedly last week. She was actually one of the ones that never showed symptoms. Go figure. Anyway we did a necropsy and she had all the signs of cystic oviduct disease - which could be (could be, not definitely) a result of the CRD. So there’s a decent chance that the CRD did in a way kill her.

The choice I’ve made is to keep my flock, treat symptoms are they come up (although I’m ignoring the occasional too much sneezing as I don’t feel it’s best to keep treating with tylan at this moment) and enjoy the very high number of eggs I get every day. I’ve accepted that a hen may suddenly die due to complications from having CRD. I am dedicated to giving them the best life I can given the circumstances and enjoying my time with them for as long as it lasts vs being constantly worried and dreading the next day.

And yes, this is all within the last several weeks! About a month total. Crazy!

So that’s what happened to me and my flock and what we are doing about it - lol! Hope this helps you decided what is best for you and your flock.

Thanks for your response and nice to know I can still have productive birds! 12-16 eggs a day off 18 hens is still excellent I think! I got in contact with the guy I got the birds off but I think the 2 Wyandotte’s maybe were the carriers as they seem totally unaffected by it. They were from a different breeder. The one I spoke to recommends triple C soluble powder? Is anyone familiar with it? How’s that for eating eggs from treated birds? Or my local produce store carries Oxymav B. I rang a vet but will take a couple of days to get in and they won’t prescribe Tylan over the counter. It will be an expensive visit with a consultation and medicine cost, that’s why I’m thinking of one of the above powders?

I think so too! I’m actually thrilled- as well as surprised - that I’m getting so many eggs right now. I expect it’ll go down at some point for one reason or another but I’m taking what I get with a big smile right now - lol!

I can’t help with the medicine question. I only have/used the tylan. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in.

Oh I should add.... check often for weight loss. It happens fast. You may need to force food and water and vitamins if that happens. By the time the chicken lets you know it’s sick - isolating itself for example - it’s a much harder battle to fight and come back from.

I’m Doing a health check on every bird once a week. Frankly I should be doing it more often given the circumstances but I don’t have the time luxury to do that. Petunia lost 1/3 of her weight within the 6 days between health checks.

Just a heads up!

I would agree with @Wyorp Rock to try and get a few birds tested to see what you are dealing with. If a bird dies, then get a necropsy by the poultry lab to identify the disease. Secondary diseases can be common. If you are dealing with MG, there is a vaccine to give any new birds. MG can pass through hatching eggs. I would not ever raise birds for someone else from your flock. Sorry you are dealing with this, but it can happen when birds from multiple sources are brought in. Here is a link about diseases and treatments:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
I tracked down some Triple C so will be trying that. One breeder says he uses it with good success on any sick birds. He also said in Oz that there’s no real breeders selling verified MG free birds nor does he test his. Most birds these days are sold by back yard breeders and advertised on gumtree so I assume a lot would be carriers. The other large scale hyline brown breeder i rang where I got a few chooks from, he thought the same thing. He vaccinates against a couple other illnesses like IB but said he doesn’t vaccinate against MG and it’s quite possible his birds carry it and he maintained most flocks these days would too. He believes in survival of the fittest, and he may lose a bird here and there and occasionally will have to cull some. He’s got dozens of people taking crates to his farm every week to buy chooks so fair chance he’s had other people bring in the bacteria too.
That’s what I’ve decided to go with, just treat the current sick birds, hope they recover and I still plan on hatching some chicks who hopefully will build a good resistance to it. My neighbors are keen on some different breeds to replace their browns eventually, and as the birds they have are really close to mine I would guess they're carrying the same bacteria too. We have the same flock of annoying pigeons that do the rounds stealing all our food! I could have even caught it off them and it’s come from the neighbors, there’s no real way of knowing for sure. One of my friends took a light Sussex rooster I had just before I noticed a couple of sick birds, and so far he’s said none of his chooks appear sick.

Back
Top Bottom