Possible dislocated hip

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I have a 5 month old buff orpington and i believe she had a dislocated hip. She’s limping, not putting pressure on her right leg, and it’s kind of backwards. I don’t know what to do in this case.

Attachments

• 199B8742-55CA-4A52-AC96-27D65B95C9EB.jpeg
    199B8742-55CA-4A52-AC96-27D65B95C9EB.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 89
  • B4445EFE-B21B-4FBE-B4DA-A3E64E94E5BA.jpeg
    B4445EFE-B21B-4FBE-B4DA-A3E64E94E5BA.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 6E1720CA-4A20-4E3C-94A4-DCCA1FBD6209.jpeg
    6E1720CA-4A20-4E3C-94A4-DCCA1FBD6209.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 54
So update. After spending 7 hours at the emergency vet waiting, they didn’t give me an answer. It could be a possible dislocation or a break that happened a while ago and she did something to hurt it even more. They only gave me one option, surgery. I paid $621 dollars for them to tell me there’s nothing they can do except surgery. I was sent home with a hurting chicken and pain meds.

Are you going ahead with the surgery? If not, I think you should seriously consider putting her down. That sort of injury isn't going to get better without major intervention and will greatly impact her quality of life, not to mention chronic pain. It's quite severe.
I’m going to get a second opinion by a vet that actually cares for chickens and barn animals. The vet there was texting an exotic animal tech that is from a different place

How is your chicken doing?
We unfortunately had to make the decision to put her to sleep 😔 Right after that vet visit, she declined in 2 days and her wings were starting to be paralyzed too. She wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t drink, barely responded to us, she wouldn’t move. It was heartbreaking to us and i didn’t want her in any pain

We unfortunately had to make the decision to put her to sleep 😔 Right after that vet visit, she declined in 2 days and her wings were starting to be paralyzed too. She wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t drink, barely responded to us, she wouldn’t move. It was heartbreaking to us and i didn’t want her in any pain
Sometimes the best things to do are the hardest.
I'm happy that she's out of pain now

Thank you💕 I didn’t know if it was silly to others getting her cremated because some might be like “it’s a type of poultry” but it felt like the right choice for us and she was our pet😔
Some say it is silly. Because some raise meat and layer birds. I raise pet and showbirds. Though I dont get my birds cremated, we do bury them.

Are you going ahead with the surgery? If not, I think you should seriously consider putting her down. That sort of injury isn't going to get better without major intervention and will greatly impact her quality of life, not to mention chronic pain. It's quite severe.

Back
Top Bottom