Possible EE and Red Star...anyone else?

Leeloo11400

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Happy C's Farm, Texas

The guy there is my rooster, Ace. I believe he is an EE rooster (but please correct me if I am wrong) and he is stunning. I am so very fond of him. The two reds you see there are Red Stars and they, at the time, were my only layers. We have since lost one (sweet Lucy) to a predator
hit.gif
. Luckily I saved her and Ethel's eggs for a while and set them. We now have 9 babies (hatched this week) that are Ace's and either Lucy's or Ethel's.

Does anyone have any feathered-out ladies or gents that are this cross? I am so excited to have offspring of these three. It's like I am a grandmother
lol.png
and I am finding it difficult to wait to see what they will look like. My MIL tells me, in the Red Star breed, female chicks are a rust color and males are yellow. If that is the case, and it is true for cross, I have many males, but with crossing them, I'm not sure if that would still be true. While a bio major (for a time) in college, genetics is not my thing.

Any idea what these guys will look like?

Thanks so much,

Leah

Last edited:
Red stars only work with the first generation, after that there is no telling a boy from a girl color wise. And the rooster is an EE, so his genetics are going to be very mixed, so coloring of the chicks can be difficult to guess, but I'm thinking that the light chicks are going to be white from the red stars, which are a cross between a red rooster and a white hen. The redish chick should have some red to it, but its not going to be exact with mixed coloring.

And just to clarify what your MIL said, the red star isn't a breed, its a special between two breeds, that makes males one color and females another color.

Last edited:
Very handsome EE! I agree, the sex link does not breed to the next generation, sorry. But I have chicks from an EE roo and a Production Red cross, PR's are very similar to Red Stars. Colors will prob vary widely, but the red/reddish will dominate heavily, I believe.
These are a dozen I sold from that mix, light chicks ended up kinda black and white while the darker chicks went red...

Red stars only work with the first generation, after that there is no telling a boy from a girl color wise. And the rooster is an EE, so his genetics are going to be very mixed, so coloring of the chicks can be difficult to guess, but I'm thinking that the light chicks are going to be white from the red stars, which are a cross between a red rooster and a white hen. The redish chick should have some red to it, but its not going to be exact with mixed coloring.

And just to clarify what your MIL said, the red star isn't a breed, its a special between two breeds, that makes males one color and females another color.

Thank you for the great information!! I love learning new chicken information! It is definitely a subject that I do not get tired of. That also makes much more sense to me than thinking all but one chick that hatched is male (although I'd love them either way...even with 10 crowing roosters at 3AM. My neighbors probably not as much) and how exciting to (maybe) finally having a white chicken or two to round out my backyard color scheme.
lol.png

Leah

Very handsome EE! I agree, the sex link does not breed to the next generation, sorry. But I have chicks from an EE roo and a Production Red cross, PR's are very similar to Red Stars. Colors will prob vary widely, but the red/reddish will dominate heavily, I believe.
These are a dozen I sold from that mix, light chicks ended up kinda black and white while the darker chicks went red...

Great picture! There are some great colors there. Thanks for sharing! I didn't know anything about the Red Stars. I got both Lucy and Ethel from MIL after they started laying and she was insistent (as she usually is, but shhhhhh, don't tell her I said that) that if we hatched babies this would be the case. It didn't really matter to me, I just hear it every time we are talking about chickens (which is quite often). She means well, though. I am super excited to see what happens here!! This is my second batch of incubated eggs. The first batch of 45 eggs only hatched two. This set was much more successful.

What type of comb does the rooster have? I'm really not getting any EE vibe from him. He's got a clean face and feathered legs, and what looks like a straight comb from what I can see. I think he's more a barnyard mix.

I'm thinking he's more Barnyard Special than Easter egger, so don't pin your hopes on green eggs from his offspring. I think you will get pretty, mostly gold based red or wild-type colored birds that are decent layers....and nothing wrong with that!

@donraeThank you for the information. I do know that at my local tractor supply there is an advertisement with a picture of a rooster that my kiddos pointed out, looks just like our Ace. :D
Egg color isn't especially important, nor is breed, unless a certain mix would cause harm. My main focus would be to give my girls and guys a wonderful life and maybe hope to receive eggs in even just half the supply as I recieve in joy from being their chicken-mommy. Colored eggs are nice though and I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at an array of colors in my backyard. As of now I only get brown. I had one that laid Tiffany Blue eggs that were BEAUTIFUL. She was killed last week and I am still getting over that. I did manage to save two of her eggs to set and we'll see what happens in two weeks, but again for those, the father is Ace, my barnyard special. ;)

Back
Top Bottom