Amber Star or Whiting True Green?

Mhewitt

Hatching
Jul 24, 2023
I ordered some Red Star and Amber star pullet chicks from McMurry in April. According to my invoice, they substituted the Amber stars for Whiting True greens. I think the dark red ladies are Red stars, the white guy is a roo - maybe my “surprise” chick? Although, I’m confused as to what these cream/light brown ladies are? Amber stars or True greens? Anyone have similar looking birds?

Attachments

• IMG_7354.jpeg
    IMG_7354.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7364.jpeg
    IMG_7364.jpeg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7362.jpeg
    IMG_7362.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7358.jpeg
    IMG_7358.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7356.jpeg
    IMG_7356.jpeg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 31
Yes on the cockerel- could be a male production red.

The pullets look like Starlights or some kind of high production hybrid. Congrats on all the girls!

Yes on the cockerel- could be a male production red.

The pullets look like Starlights or some kind of high production hybrid. Congrats on all the girls!
The last bird listed, white cockerel with red patches on wings, is not a male Production Red. Those are dark mahogany, similar to New Hampshire Red but darker - Prod Reds look very much like the Production Red hens in color, with long dark tails and bigger combs.

I have some suspicions on what this bird is, but am not sure. Production cockerel of some type, possibly Amber Star or Whiting True Green. Slight chance it could be an easter egger with the pea comb.

Last edited:
Did they substitute all your Amber Stars with WTG or partially substitute?

The first picture of a red hen is a Red Star.

The second picture looks like an Amber star. Third and 4th pic look like Whiting True Greens to me. 5th picture is an Amber Star cockerel I think. But it could be a whiting true green cockerel, I'm not sure how those look. My money is on amber star cockerel though.

I ordered a number of Red Star and Whiting True Blues from McMurray this year, and have been eyeing the Whiting True Greens for some time with great interest.

Proof will be in the eggs. Have fun!

The last bird listed, white cockerel with red patches on wings, is not a male Production Red. Those are dark mahogany, similar to New Hampshire Red but darker - Prod Reds look very much like the Production Red hens in color, with long dark tails and bigger combs.

I have some suspicions on what this bird is, but am not sure. Production cockerel of some type, possibly Amber Star or Whiting True Green. Slight chance it could be an easter egger with the pea comb.
Red sex link specifically… wasn’t leaning toward hatchery grade RIR.

Thank you guys for the help!
Did they substitute all your Amber Stars with WTG or partially substitute?
According to the invoice they substituted all of them. But I was also wondering if I got a mix of both - which would be great!
Also wasn’t sure if the WTG were that light in color. But like you said, the eggs will tell.

Thank you guys for the help!

According to the invoice they substituted all of them. But I was also wondering if I got a mix of both - which would be great!
Also wasn’t sure if the WTG were that light in color. But like you said, the eggs will tell.
From the pictures on the website, looks like you got a mix. Post egg pics when you get them, now I'm really curious!

I ordered some Red Star and Amber star pullet chicks from McMurry in April. According to my invoice, they substituted the Amber stars for Whiting True greens. I think the dark red ladies are Red stars, the white guy is a roo - maybe my “surprise” chick? Although, I’m confused as to what these cream/light brown ladies are? Amber stars or True greens? Anyone have similar looking birds?
What color eggs did the 2 that look like Whiting True Greens lay?

Back
Top Bottom