Possible egg bound?? with pale comb

MissEllie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
NorthWest Mississippi
Yesterday everybody looked great, and normal behavior. Today my 3 year old hen is acting possible egg bound: sitting, looks like she is pushing, I could not feel anything hard. My biggest concern is that her comb is also pale. Any ideas? suggestions?

3 year old hens have many health issues. The symptoms are similar for any number of diseases, including egg impaction, mineral imbalance and cancer. In my experience it's rarely due to being egg bound. The first thing is to observe what goes in and what comes out. Is she eating and pooping? The next thing is that I always try what I call my "Spa Treatment" which entails an epsom salt soak. olive oil and TLC. You can read about that here. http://hencam.com/the-spa-treatment/ BTW, this is what you do for egg bound hens, too, so you never know, that could be the issue, and this could help.
Good-luck!

Thank you for your help. I soaked her as long as she would let me and put her back out with the other hens. She is behaving more like herself this evening. Hopefully she will continue in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom