Possible elimination of 4-H in our county :( *update 3/12 Good news*

froggie71

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Shamong, NJ
Just received an e-mail that our county administrators have proposed eliminating funding for our county 4-H program. As it stands right now, all funding for all 4-H programs would cease and the program end in our county. The 3 presidents of various program counsels are gathering information and will be organizing what we as clubs can do to try to change this horrible proposal.
Our 4-H is part of the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Program and is funded in partnership with the counties in NJ. I know the county budget is ultimately decided upon by our County Freeholders and the next Freeholders meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 10th at 7pm.

Unbelieveably our county has bought new property that they have been "working on" for the last several years so that our county farm fair can be moved there. Supposedly for more space, more parking, etc. How can you have a FARM FAIR with out the 4-H's animals, crafts, plants, tractors, etc.
barnie.gif

We as club members have paid our dues, do fund raisers to help our club as well as do community service. I know that the Small Animal Council in our state helps provide prizes, etc for all of the small animal clubs by also doing fundraisers and such. This is only the 2nd year my kids have been involved with 4-H, but it has been a great experience and I'd hate for them to lose it. I know our state is in an economic disaster, but who are we hurting here. The kids and the future of our kids.

Last edited:
Well, the whole state of Georgia is gonna drop its entire 4H program, maybe even drop the whole extension service too, according to a news report yesterday. I can't find it today, I'd heard this driving...

Let your fingers do the walking with your telephone to your friends, neighbors, and relations. Time to turn the heat up on your local state legislators. When their phones begin to ring and their e-mail begins to jam up with angry constituents they will listen.

If you're a Georgia or New Jersey resident the time to act is NOW.

http://www.whitecountynewstelegraph.com/articles/2010/03/04/news/news02.txt

Georgia 4-H may be on chopping block

by Debbie Gilbert

White County News

More state budget cuts are on the way, and that could be bad news for rural communities like White County.

Georgia is facing a $1.1 billion budget shortfall in fiscal year 2011, which begins July 1. Gov. Sonny Perdue has already asked the University System to cut $265 million from higher education, and the schools have begun doing so.

Now, the Georgia General Assembly is seeking to eliminate an additional $300 million from university budgets.

The University of Georgia has proposed saving $58.9 million by laying off 1,418 employees, reducing the incoming freshman class by a third, withdrawing most of its support from the veterinary teaching hospital, dropping the statewide 4-H program and closing half of its county extension offices.

Those last two recommendations have raised concerns in counties where many families still depend on agriculture and the 4-H program is a major component of the high-school curriculum.

State Rep. Austin Scott (R-Tifton), who is running for governor in Georgia, said he has received numerous calls and e-mails from people who are worried about the proposed cuts.

“Agriculture is Georgia's major economic driver and vital to the success of our economy,” Scott said.

“4-H and county extension offices play a crucial role in extending scientific research to Georgia farms. The long-term costs of losing these programs would be far greater than anything we might save in the short term.”

Scott, who grew up in a farming family, said University System leaders are out of touch with the people who live in rural communities.

He said the proposed cuts “reflect poor leadership at the top of the system and a lack of understanding of the importance of agriculture in Georgia.”

that is such a shame . . . we have wonderful 4-H groups here in our county, and the fairs wouldn't be the same without them. that is why I go to the fair, to go through the barns to see the animals! Keep us posted. I am going to ask questions about ours, as DS wants to get involved next year with Alpacas and goats. We even debated about starting our own group so kids could "adopt" an alpaca as a project. . .get a petition going, that will make them wake up and see reality hopefully!!!

Here in NY there is talk of closing parks and some people are all upset. But we have to face it folks money is tight due to mismanagement and government debt. Just like in many households and the thing is the government can't afford to keep these programs. Until the government get's things under control we'll just have to bear it. Are they good programs yes, but the money is just not there. Recently a sports game was announced at our schools competition and the schools are now charging $5-7 per person to watch our kids play. Everyone over 5yrs old. Am I happy no, but it's the only way to get funding. Some want to cut sports programs. I pay school taxes but don't have kids in school. This is life.
What we need is politicians who are responsible in their spending and wisely selective in what they fund. Why should the government (all of us) pay to fund programs that don't benefit the majority of the population? It would be nice if we all could afford it but the reality is we can't. We don't need politicians who cut deals for their own personal pet programs that don't benefit the rest of society.

"There are three kinds of people, the haves, the have nots, and the have not paid for what they have." Unfortunately the government is the third kind. What kind am I?. I ain't saying. : )

In our county, there is talk of getting rid of the county fair. Too much expense, not enough interest and the old fuddy-duddies managing it are getting old and no one new is stepping up to the plate.

Although honestly, our county fair isn't very impressive. The grounds are flat, dusty and next to a factory. The horse arena is small and no warm-up area. The poultry/sheep/rabbit barn is always swelteringly hot during fair week in July. The local carnies that run the rides are just downright frightening (I always had trouble picturing "chinless" Neanderthals from Clan of the Cave Bear until I saw these guys).

BUT ... this year my neighbor and I were going to show our goats and DH wanted to show his cochin rooster to try and get people interested in those things. There are always exactly 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats at the fair and 12 Cornish-Rock market projects, so there's not much to look at.

Hard to say what's going to happen. It's a small town. There's not much to do in summer besides the fair ...
idunno.gif

Wow, I hate to hear that 4-H is on the chopping block. I submit to you that some folks dont want our kids to learn how to sustain themselves but this aint the forum for that. I wonder, do any of yall know what the budget for 4-H looks like?

Back
Top Bottom