Possible for pullet to start laying brown eggs, then switch to blue?

Quote:
I know that you just explained it is impossible to lay blue and brown.. but it sounds like if the egg can vary between blue and brown, then if this hen/pullet was 1 in a million.. she could vary ALOT between blue and brown, effectively laying a bluish egg one day and and brownish egg the next

Quote:
I know that you just explained it is impossible to lay blue and brown.. but it sounds like if the egg can vary between blue and brown, then if this hen/pullet was 1 in a million.. she could vary ALOT between blue and brown, effectively laying a bluish egg one day and and brownish egg the next

I think the point is that basically, hens lay either brown or white eggs, so that a mixed breed hen that lays blue eggs is depositing the blue over the white, producing a clear blue color, and that hens that lay green or greenish eggs are depositing the blue over the brown. Since all E.E. are a mix between true blue egg layers and either white or brown layers, that would be the logical conclusion. The egg i am describing is pretty darn blue. . . but perhaps not quite as blue as an Ameracauna or Arucana egg. . . I don't have either of those for comparison, but it looks blue to me.

pixie74943 wrote:

emys wrote:

Egg color can vary within the same color type only. So it is not possible your easter egger could have laid both a brown and a clear blue egg.

One of your other girls laid 2 eggs.

If she is laying a clear blue egg, then she can only lay white or blue eggs. Brown egg layers can only lay brown or white eggs.

In suzpyoung's case, she has a green egg layer which has the blue and the brown egg layer genes, so hers can vary on both the amount of blue and brown pigment.

I hope this makes some kind of sense. if not, someone else will fill in with a better explaination of the genetics.

You are making me think, now... Even theoretically though, I don't believe you could have that one in a million or billion due to the method of pigment application. I think when you have a green egg layer both colors are expressed and may look more brownish or more bluish mostly due to total amount of pigmentation not the ratio of brown to blue. Please someone else chime in if I am not correct here.​

Back
Top Bottom