Possible for pullet to start laying brown eggs, then switch to blue?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cap1717, Dec 6, 2009.

1. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    OK guys, I have 4 pullets. Until last week, only 3 were laying, and I was eagerly awaiting the 1st egg from the 4th, as she is an EE, and I really wanted blue/green eggs. Well, early last week I returned home from work to find 4 brown eggs in the nest box! Very dissapointed, and decided to find some guaranteed blue egg layers. Yesterday, my youngest EE emerged from the nest box, and when I went out to collect the egg, there was a beautiful robins blue egg there! Is it possible that her first few eggs were brown, and have now turned blue with a bit of maturity? Is it possible that one of the other girls laid 2 eggs in one morning? I really don't know what to think.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've never heard of egg color changing. I have heard of rare events (BYC forum) of a chicken managing to lay two eggs in one day (although I'm still not sure how, because I thought it was @25 hour cycle???). I'd think the latter was more likely... Are you SURE you only have four chickens...lol??? [​IMG]

3. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I heard it was a 20hour cycle... I've also heard it is impossible for them to change colour

but hey.. birds like to confuse us :p

4. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    I have an easter egger that was laying a khaki colored egg, and since her molt her eggs are now very green. Of my two Ameraucana hens, who were/are both laying bluer eggs, one of their shades of blue has made an obvious change (again, since molting). I find this quite strange!

5. cap1717

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. . . I think that both dramatically changing egg color and these young girls laying 2 in one day are equally unlikely, especially since all 4 eggs appeared before 1:00 pm, on the same day!. . . but yes, I am certain that I have only 4, and I have seen the pullet in question emerge from the nest box, leaving both brown and blue eggs behind. . . . curious!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  6. cap1717

Jun 12, 2009
    P.S. if she lays a "rainbow colored" egg today, I will be calling the newspapers!

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Egg color can vary within the same color type only. So it is not possible your easter egger could have laid both a brown and a clear blue egg.

One of your other girls laid 2 eggs.

If she is laying a clear blue egg, then she can only lay white or blue eggs. Brown egg layers can only lay brown or white eggs.

In suzpyoung's case, she has a green egg layer which has the blue and the brown egg layer genes, so hers can vary on both the amount of blue and brown pigment.

I hope this makes some kind of sense. if not, someone else will fill in with a better explaination of the genetics.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:And buy a lottery ticket!

I agree, I think one of your brown layer either laid twice, or they had one "hiding" from you from the previous day. But congrats on your blue egg!

9. cap1717

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks Emys! I love an understandable, scientific comment! So yes, it must be that my very prolific Barred Rock laid two in one day. I've got to admit that I am more than a bit delighted to have a blue egg layer, and am pleased as punch about this!

10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    See, I thought one of my EE's did this too. I was getting a beautiful green egg, and then they stopped, but then getting the same as I was before as browns. I got 5 green eggs from my new chicken freind in Rigby, along with white and dark browns, I want more colors, birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by