Possible fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvnmypeeps, Nov 11, 2019.

1. luvnmypeeps

luvnmypeeps Chirping

May 19, 2014
    F770ED2D-5070-4A92-8D75-1BC263B550EA.jpeg 95AFD3CA-3852-44CC-9F83-08C390E1EE68.jpeg B7C8C234-A03B-4ADB-B78D-2DC329EC9517.jpeg 21CB8099-0C52-432E-99EB-0BCE068F1FFF.jpeg Hi BYC friends,
    About half of my chickens have some form of black spot on their combs, and the Roo on his wattle. Pictures included.

Flock appetite and drinking is normal, as is excrement. I feed a high quality organic non-GMO freshly milled 16% protein mix.

I have had three ducks in the same coop with my chickens. Recently I have noticed the ducks are fighting with the chickens, and picking on them a lot. Especially picking on the rooster. I am keeping the ducks separate during the day, while I get a safe place set up for them for night time.

Any advice on whether or not these marks are from fowl pox, or maybe just being picked on by the ducks, is much appreciated.

This coop has nine hens, one rooster, and the three ducks (two of the ducks are male).

Thanks in advance for any advice based on the photos I provide!

SurferchickinSB and ValerieJ like this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Looks like fowl pox to me, but could also be from picking. Good news is if it's fowl pox, and doesn't progress to wet pox in the mouth, it will run its course in a few weeks and be gone.

luvnmypeeps and SurferchickinSB like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I didn’t think it was pox in the first pic, but it does look like pox in the others. It is a virus that is spread by mosquitoes, and lasts about 3 weeks. Most chickens do well if they just have dry pox, unless it affects baby chicks. Wet pox may cause yellow patches inside the beak, airway, and esophagus, and can be more dangerous. Do not disturb the scabs. Those affected should be immune to pox afterward.

4. luvnmypeeps

luvnmypeeps Chirping

May 19, 2014
    Thank you ValerieJ and Eggcessive. I appreciate it very much. Should I worry that my ducks will get it as well? I have fresh oregano growing in the garden, maybe I will throw some in the coop and hope it helps them all fight it naturally. Eggs are still OK for us to consume?

Thanks again!

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Eggs will be fine. I don’t know anything about the medicinal properties of oregano but I should read up on it. I have a ton of that “weed” in my garden.

luvnmypeeps likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    ValerieJ likes this.
  7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agree with the others. Looks like a mild case of dry pox. My Chickens had it a couple of winters back, but they got over it in just a couple weeks, none the worse for wear. I don't think the Ducks got it at all.

ValerieJ and Eggcessive like this.
  8. mammabird34601

mammabird34601 Hatching

Nov 19, 2019
    I too believe this is fowl pox. I noticed scabs on two of my hens eyelids and black spots on the combs of a couple of the others over the weekend and spent several hours researching to confirm the presence of fowl pox. I have 24 hens, one rooster and a duck and have noticed the fowl pox on 5 of my girls. I purchased the vaccine last night and am going to vaccinate my birds tonight. I also was wondering specifically about the effect on my duck as I've read that while it mostly affects chickens and turkeys, it can affect ducks. My duck has a separate pen but does socialize with the girls when I allow them to free range in the evenings and on the weekends. Does anyone know if using the vaccination tool on affected and then unaffected birds will transfer the virus? Seems that if I'm vaccinating that wouldn't be the case but I want to be extra sure as I don't want to infect my entire flock. Thanks to everyone!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    ValerieJ likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    mammabird34601 and ValerieJ like this.
  10. mammabird34601

mammabird34601 Hatching

Nov 19, 2019
    I was super concerned about my duck getting it as well, she's my fluffy butt Gabby-Goo, but following a conversation with a veterinarian with Zoetis (vaccine company) I feel better about her chances of not contracting the virus. There isn't much data about ducks getting it because it's not anywhere near as common as it is in chickens. I was even going to vaccinate Gabby just to be safe but she advised me not to as the vaccine is intended for chickens. The vet also told me it is safe to eat the eggs, even following vaccination, and really helped ease some of my concerns about giving the vaccine, to which of my birds and when. I posted a list of my notes from my conversation with her in my original thread, it may help you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fowl-pox-on-hens-will-it-affect-my-duck.1340182/#post-2195187
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    ValerieJ and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: