Possible Gape Worm

I acquired three, two year old Sexlink hens in September. Two of them died. One from unknown reasons. The other was egg bound. The third and lone survivor yawns quite often and shakes her head. I suspect that she has gape worm. She has never laid an egg for me, but does sit on the nest. Can gape worm affect egg production?
I recently added four more hens to my flock. Should I treat all of them for gape worm?

I haven't noticed any breathing problems or congestion. What would be the connection with mites/lice? I am not familiar with oral medication. My Sexlink is somewhat tame. The new ones are still very skittish.

I agree with @getaclue check her very well for lice/mites, make sure the crop is empty in the morning.
I would also feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid.

Yawning and shaking of the head sounds like she's trying to adjust her crop.
She has never laid an egg for you, did she go through a molt this fall?

If you can take a video that would be great - upload to youtube, then provide us a link.

casportpony, If there is a heavy gapeworm load, is it best to give one dose first, wait a day or two, then give it 3 days in a row? Do dead gapes cause overload, like some others can?

According to Dawg53, if using Valbazen, you treat them 3 times, 10 days apart for gape worm, 3 days in a row for tapeworms. If using SafeGuard, you treat them 3 days in a row for gape worm, 5 days in a row for the 2 types of tapeworms it kills. (Yes, I know tapes are very hard to get rid of, and should be addressed separately).
No danger of overload with the Valbazen, because it works over several days.
Valbazen = 1/2 ml/cc for the average 6 lb. chicken, 1/4 ml/cc for bantams, or small chickens. SafeGuard = 1 1/2 ml/cc for the average 6 lb. chicken, half that for bantams or small chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-chickens.602699/
So you are saying for gape worm, using Valbazen, I would need use it the same as with SafeGuard, and give it 3 days in a row? If so, I will update my information. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom