Possible Gapeworm

Rsarah32

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
I need help I’m new to raising chickens I have two 6 week old hens my Easter egg hen for the past week has had her mouth open and sometime lethargic both have been having diarrhea no worms detected in poop I need help on what to get them I don’t want them to die I love them both

Attachments

• F300F4F4-ADB1-4C33-9F2F-73EE98AED2B0.jpeg
    F300F4F4-ADB1-4C33-9F2F-73EE98AED2B0.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DE13F78E-E28C-46FD-90E1-085FD43B9433.jpeg
    DE13F78E-E28C-46FD-90E1-085FD43B9433.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 4
At six weeks old, I'm going to guess that you've allowed them out into the yard. Has it rained recently? Every bit of soil on the planet has coccidia, and worms are easily carried by wild birds and pooped into your back yard... so if they've been exposed to grass, dirt, or the great outdoors within the past couple of weeks, you can expect them to be a bit 'under the weather'.
You may be dealing with worms (which usually are invisible to the human eye) or coccidiosis.
Both problems are common with young birds or with adult birds that are either old or have underlying health concerns.
Fortunately, you can pick up medicine at your feed store for both, add that to all of their available water (at the same time). Do NOT give vitamin supplements while administering amprolium as it works by mimicing the B-vitamins that coccidia consume as food. No B-Vitamins, and the parasite starves to death. Do offer vitamin supplementation after the full course of treatment. Ask your feed store guy for poultry worming medicine, for Corid (amprolium is the generic name), and for the vitamin supplement that will be given after their treatment is complete. These three things ought to set things right with your young flock.
Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

I need help I’m new to raising chickens I have two 6 week old hens my Easter egg hen for the past week has had her mouth open and sometime lethargic both have been having diarrhea no worms detected in poop I need help on what to get them I don’t want them to die I love them both
I am sorry about that. I presume they are not under a heat lamp anymore. How hot it is where you are at. They look stressed. Give them Hydro-Hen or Make them an Electrolyte solution. Look it up online. Make them a scrambled egg with a little of their Chick Ttarter/Grower feed in it. Or you can add yogurt to it if you want.
Has their Crop been soft and empty in the morning? If not, you could be having a crop issue.
But, give them the Electrolyte solution now and make them a scrambled egg. They will gobble it up.

At six weeks old, I'm going to guess that you've allowed them out into the yard. Has it rained recently? Every bit of soil on the planet has coccidia, and worms are easily carried by wild birds and pooped into your back yard... so if they've been exposed to grass, dirt, or the great outdoors within the past couple of weeks, you can expect them to be a bit 'under the weather'.
You may be dealing with worms (which usually are invisible to the human eye) or coccidiosis.
Both problems are common with young birds or with adult birds that are either old or have underlying health concerns.
Fortunately, you can pick up medicine at your feed store for both, add that to all of their available water (at the same time). Do NOT give vitamin supplements while administering amprolium as it works by mimicing the B-vitamins that coccidia consume as food. No B-Vitamins, and the parasite starves to death. Do offer vitamin supplementation after the full course of treatment. Ask your feed store guy for poultry worming medicine, for Corid (amprolium is the generic name), and for the vitamin supplement that will be given after their treatment is complete. These three things ought to set things right with your young flock.
Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.
Thank you I been researching like crazy I’m in Glendale Arizona hasn’t rained recently but my sister took them out for the first time a week ago and that’s when we started having these problems I came up with Gapeworm is it possible to treat for both worms

I am sorry about that. I presume they are not under a heat lamp anymore. How hot it is where you are at. They look stressed. Give them Hydro-Hen or Make them an Electrolyte solution. Look it up online. Make them a scrambled egg with a little of their Chick Ttarter/Grower feed in it. Or you can add yogurt to it if you want.
Has their Crop been soft and empty in the morning? If not, you could be having a crop issue.
But, give them the Electrolyte solution now and make them a scrambled egg. They will gobble it up.
They are inside chickens I barely started taking them outside a week ago that’s when we had the issue they no longer use the heat lamp the house is at a cool 72 but where I have their huge cage it’s slightly warmer I will try the egg but my girl in the pic is having issue with opening and closing her beak it seems

Well, your not sure if they have worms yet. Don't let them out anymore in the yard as they are too young. Plus if they eat anything except their own Grower/Starter feed you have to have Chick grit for them. We all start out by learning and you are doing just that. Check the crop, give them electrolytes and a scrambled egg. See if that helps. It's one step at a time. If they are outside and it is still HOT, you might want to bring them in tonight in the cooler air to see how they do while your figuring this all out. Yes, they might have a worm but try these other things tonight. Tomorrow is a new day and you can treat for worms tomorrow after you get the stuff at the store. Re-post tomorrow.
It's 0345 here in rainy Florida with a Tropical Storm so, I have to go to sleep now.

Well, your not sure if they have worms yet. Don't let them out anymore in the yard as they are too young. Plus if they eat anything except their own Grower/Starter feed you have to have Chick grit for them. We all start out by learning and you are doing just that. Check the crop, give them electrolytes and a scrambled egg. See if that helps. It's one step at a time. If they are outside and it is still HOT, you might want to bring them in tonight in the cooler air to see how they do while your figuring this all out. Yes, they might have a worm but try these other things tonight. Tomorrow is a new day and you can treat for worms tomorrow after you get the stuff at the store. Re-post tomorrow.
It's 0345 here in rainy Florida with a Tropical Storm so, I have to go to sleep now.
Thank you

Yes, and I suggest that you put both medications in their water at the same time, they work differently and do not have an adverse reaction to being administered in this way. When treating young sick birds, time is of the essence.

Yes, and I suggest that you put both medications in their water at the same time, they work differently and do not have an adverse reaction to being administered in this way. When treating young sick birds, time is of the essence.
Ok thank you what would you suggest for Gapeworm though that’s what I was having trouble finding out

Back
Top Bottom